Can someone help me choose where to buy a hive from.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few things I have found as a very new beekeeper...

I was told to expect to spend about £500 - that seems fairly realistic unless you shop around and make stuff yourself.

Some things are not worth economising on - particularly your suit.

Hive quality varies a lot but they probably all do the job. We went to the Spring Convention and it was very helpful. Picked up best known manufacturers 'seconds' suits for £40 and £70, got a good look at all of the hives. The cheapest we saw were plywood and would probably do the job. I thought the best were made by one of the large suppliers. (Probably can't name but same name as a common hive in the South). The hives they had on display were excellent quality and staff very helpful.

I have met pest controllers who are often asked to remove swarms and kill them as they have nothing else to do with them. If you get to know one you may get bees for free - but you take a chance on their health and temper!

Good luck,

Ray

Thanks Ray
Looks like I will have to start saving up, my wife only gives me £10 a week.:D

It is expensive to get started but my way of looking at it is that I want to keep bees for a very long time, so it is an "investment" in a fascinating hobby. I think there are big decisions to be made up front such as hive type/size, which have consequences for the future, because you don't want to end up with lots of different incompatible bits of kit.

When I think about how many hours I put into this hobby I don't begrudge a few extra quid on good quality equipment.

I got my first 2 hives from a place in the peak district, and drove out to his workshop to pick them up ('cos I'm nosy).

Anyway, good luck! :)

Do you know what is "best quality" in beekeeping.

But beekeeping is expencive hobby if you do not get honey to sell.

Dusty
Yes your right, used to go diving myself so I know what you mean about cost of things.

Last edited:
Beekeeping seems to eat money, but it doesn't come close to photography.

Beekeeping seems to eat money, but it doesn't come close to photography.

Photography? P'touiee! I see your hobby and raise you with motorcycle racing, even a cheap one like tarmac hill climbs. Mind you, if you want money-eating hobbies, try keeping a horse :eek:. Rubbish brakes an' all!

Latest posts

Back