Can someone help me choose where to buy a hive from.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
join a local assoc - they usually have an extractor to borrow - saves on a big expense.

also you can often join the swarm list or get bees cheaper - that can be a saving too

So Jackbee,

Bearing mind I put a ? after the extractor (can borrow/hire or even may not need initially at all) and that he wants two hives (still not sure if he means that or two colonies), but do you reckon three hundred quid is a realistic figure? How do you price it all up?

Depencdent on time of year, he could buy in two nuc hives with bees and leave them until spring before buying anything else, I suppose. I was thinking enough kit to actually keep bees. If 2 colonies we are/will shortly be talking A/S.

Are we talking now or for next year (winter sales can make a huge difference)?

What do you think is realistic for a new beek?

winter sales

the main retialers have sales that start at the end of november to january ....stocks go fast, check their web sites in novemeber and christmas
but frames (2nds) are half the catalogue prices

14x12 Boxes and supers are £29 and £14 instead of the cataloge price of £52 and £29

at various events like the BBKA event at harper college 14x12 broods where £26/£27 and super £12/12.5 from the major suppliers

full hives imported cedar hives, cheepest i have found for a 14x12 is £120 is caddon.but currently out of stock, or bigger supplier in the beekeepers press advertise 14x12 at £170 (2nd with foundation.frames)

Last edited:
So Jackbee,

Bearing mind I put a ? after the extractor (can borrow/hire or even may not need initially at all) and that he wants two hives (still not sure if he means that or two colonies), but do you reckon three hundred quid is a realistic figure? How do you price it all up?

Depencdent on time of year, he could buy in two nuc hives with bees and leave them until spring before buying anything else, I suppose. I was thinking enough kit to actually keep bees. If 2 colonies we are/will shortly be talking A/S.

Are we talking now or for next year (winter sales can make a huge difference)?

What do you think is realistic for a new beek?

Oliver, do you actually realise how passive aggressive, if not downright aggressive this post is, from the opening line, "So Jackbee", onwards.

Do you wake up and decide to be obtuse and aggressive or is it intrinsic to your personality?

I was simply raising the point that you don't need to buy an extractor if you join a local assoc, and that can also lead to a cheaper way of obtaining bees.

I never suggested 300 was enough nor had a real go at what you were saying, merely giving alternatives.

Now I don't intrend to produce a spreadsheet here of costs, the OP can do that himself from various suppliers, we can point him in the right direction, if we don't meander off onto these arguments that you seem to want to take people.

It's a shame, cos I have read some great advice from you not worthy, and still will look out for your posts but then you seem to lose the plot a little sometimes - I guess we all have our foibles -makes life interesting :):)

Personally I don't think 300 is enough for 2 colonies and associated minimum set of accroutements, spares etc, and 2 colonies is minimum you should really have.

Now if I have read more into your post than was there then I will apologise now and I'm not going to sabotage this thread any further by getting into a prolonged spat with you, others do that well enough.

marc10142,
don't get put off, it's a great hobby, happy to show you what I eventually got if you want to see, I'm not far from bath, just off ringroad on NE side of bristol. I, like you, thought 300 would get me going and it can get you started but you'll very quickly, very quickly, need more, and that costs unless you're a chippy!!

Whilst everybody's bandying about hefty sums to start beekeeping, it need not be that way........... If you were to contemplate (more) natural beekeeping, you can do so for very moderate sums - you can knock up a top-bar hive for a few quid, swarms can be had for a tenner (or less), and there is very little equipment needed. I've said it several times, I got to 3 colonies and hives, and everything else I needed for well under £150 in total

...need more, and that costs unless you're a chippy!!

So, Jackbee, what has fish & chips got to do with beekeeping, hmmm?
:biggrinjester:

I went for the pains poly 14x12 Currently £99.60 for floor roof brood box and 2 supers with crown board, queen excluder and hive strap and a feeder £20.99 and I painted it all as well (£10). I've found this is more than enough so far this year. It's worth the money as its cheap compared to Cedar hives and the bees love it.
I got the frames in masimores seconds sale 50 14x12 brood frames were £35 and 50 super frames were £25 most (96%) of the frames were totally fine. If you don't want to wait until the sales your going to pay double that for firsts quality. Foundation cost me around £30.
I got a veil, gloves, smoker, tool as well and I'm lucky my bees don't need the smoker or the gloves so far. so that cost me another £70 ish from various places.
Postage was mostly free as some suppliers do free postage over a value.
So for 1 hive I paid about £291 and that for me is pretty good quality. My second hive will only cost me the £99.60 as I already have more than enough frames etc
I'm not even thinking about extracting and bottling at the moment mostly as I don't like honey!

Basically shop around it soon adds up but its worth it :)

Smuffles

Just as an idea.

In my first year I got 2 swarms 1 free as I caught it myself 1 was for a bottle of whisky from association. I also ordered and paid for two full hives of bees @£100 each (that’s just the bee's not wood work) I had ordered the bees before the swarms all came.
I have now increased this to 8 hives ....well 7 and one of nuc size.

I have made lots of stuff myself, brought some stuff but only in sales, I am still short on frames and supers but due to weather its not been needed.

I have got all the receipts but not with me at the mo and I would imagine that as a guess I am down by £1000.

This does not include any money at all for any thing related to honey extraction as I have not needed any of it and its doubtful that I will again need it for this year. An extractor can be from £200 to thousands of pounds just on its own.

If I ever do get a jar of honey its going to be the most expensive honey ever made.......manuka honey eat your hart out.

1st Post

Hello all
New to bee keeping, I think you lot are putting me off ££££££££ (only joking).
Hope you can give me help and advice, from time to time, lots to learn.

Last edited:
Are the imported Chinese National hives any good. Ive seen them for as little as £109.

Last edited:
I think for local quality items, Hivemaker (Exmoor), but also David Pearce in Taunton (No website). They do cost more than seconds from the major suppliers, but they really do look good. You could probably have a day out, see both, and pick up a nuc at the same time ;)

You didn't mention your budget, however, I don't think you're very close to the £300 suggested for two of their hives, frames, foundation and your essential PPE. To get near that price, it's your choice one of the other suggestions regularly made (Poly/DIY/Seconds/Second hand (with bees) etc.

Bear in mind, you'll need two of everything (Brood box, floor, roof, super) even for just 1 colony - because when things happen, in my limited experience, it's been pretty much 'Now'

When are you (If at all) thinking of starting up?

I recently bought from HOLTERMANN in Germany, excellent service and cheaper than I could get here in the UK even when you take into account shipping and currency conversion.
It just pays to use the internet to shop around.

Thanks for your advice, I know its going to cost ££££ to first set myself up, I bought a bee suit, gloves, hive tools, and a smoker is on order. I contacted my local club and hope to become a member in September.
Would it be better to buy a national hive with the larger brood box or just add a super when needed.

:biggrinjester:Hi Beenwood
Hope to learn enough over the next 6 months for next year, I've been to a local apiary for the first time and added a super. It's hard not to jump in feet first and buy some bees now.bee-smillie Ive heard that Welsh black bee a good one for beginners.

Last edited:
Would it be better to buy a national hive with the larger brood box or just add a super when needed.

That will depend on local conditions and the type of bee. Find out what people in your local association use.

I think that, generally, the further north the smaller the brood box, but I could be very wrong.

yorkshirebeehives near york sells a quality hive at a good price

:iagree:Thanks Peter_s
They are about 30 miles away, I had a look at the website, I must have a run out and have a look.

and Beanwood yes I forgot about needing a spare hive, thanks for that.

Last edited:
BeeJoful
Yes your right, I will ask other beekeepers when the club next meets

Latest posts

Back