Can i feed and treat for varroa at same time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Morning all

I have been away from my hives for the last 2 months and I'm playing catch up with my hives. Im going to start to feeding them in the next couple of day and was wondering if i can kill two birds with one stone an treat them for varroa as well?

Or have i missed the boat for both things

Cheers

I don't think they need vorroa but i worry and they do need feeding as I'm about to take the honey (yes i know its late)

" don't think" . Have you monitored how many mites aRe in the hive or are you just guessing? If the latter I would suggest you treAt as you want healthy winter bees. Yes you can treat and feed at same time. If using thymol the manufacturers say that if you feed and treat the bees may concentrate on feeding and ignore removing the thymol, but was not a problem when I did it once. You are in Kent. Still plenty of time to treat then feed, but it does depend on how much of their honey you steal. I leave any that is in brood box . I put first dose of Apiguard on a week ago.

MAQS recommend that you feed so that they have enough stores to get through the 7 days of treatment i.e. not to feed during treatment. One weeks feeding should give you enough stores for treatment, but do check if you go that way.

Latest posts

Back