How long do varroa live

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Good morning, I have a couple of drawn frames from a colony I shook out a few weeks ago due to them being laying workers and no queen.
The frames have capped drone brood in them which is obviously dead but I'm wondering if it's ok to use these frames in a nuc to build up a split or should I uncap and sterilise the comb first to ensure any varroa are dead or would they have perished by now anyway? I could possibly freeze the frames? I'd just have to do it on the sly as swmbo would kill me.

If you're desperate for frames freeze them for a week and do the waxmoth at the same time.
I ended up having to to buy my own freezer :(
Looks like I'm going to have to scour Facebook for an old freezer to go in my workshed.
I suppose it'll come in handy for storing stuff safe from vermin when not in use.

Looks like I'm going to have to scour Facebook for an old freezer to go in my workshed.
I suppose it'll come in handy for storing stuff safe from vermin when not in use.
Theres usually someone asking for scrapman who'll take a fridge or freezer. As scrapmen can't get rid nowadays it usually means getting a freebie only requires you to have means of transport.

I didn't think of that, I remember the days the scrap man would take anything. Now it's just the other buggers.
Thanks for the tip.. if you pardon the pun 😉

If it's going in outbuildings you might get lucky but you will need to be aware that most newer ones now may not work properly at below 10c ambient temp.
Check the climate class on the plate
  • 10-32°C: SN
  • 16-32°C: N
  • 16-38°C: ST
  • 16-43°C: T
I 've had loads off Freecycle and only one ( a really old rusted thing) worked in the barn
I ended up buying a new Beko that was specified for outbuildings.

Latest posts

Back