Can anyone identify this crop?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
View attachment 10947

A big field of it being grown in Martinshaven, Pembs

about knee high with glossy green leaves with either white or blue flowers.
stems, leaves AND flowers covered in nasty spines.
Striking things - almost out of a science fiction film

View attachment 10946

Might be Solanum Atropurpureum but I need to do a bit more research. A lot of the information on the net is duff and the best place to find out involves dusting off some old text books! (If I can find them!)

I think it's Solanum linnaeanum, Devil's Apple, a relative of potatoes and tomatoes, but poisonous. A pernicious weed in Australia and NZ I believe. Some varieties are supposed to be edible or medicinal, or used for something, but don't know what.
Or it could be the one Tim says. How did mankind manage to hit on toms and spuds amid so many nasties?

http://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/w...605030c0f01/media/Html/Solanum_linnaeanum.htm

Last edited:
Looks like Solanum (potato/tomato family). Would be useful to get a better photo of the flowers and any fruit.

Why would they be growing this?

I think alldigging has nailed it
Thanks
I will try and find out which farm and ask why they are growing it

Last edited:
Quick search found it is used for skin disorders, and is being investigated for it's use on skin cancers. Seems to be a bit of a pest.

It is indeed Solanum linnaeanum
I spoke to the farmer. He has planted it as a environmental pesticide in that it is toxic to a pest which hits potatoes.
It will be ploughed in.

Latest posts

Back