Can anyone explain what is happening in the video please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bees tend to 'block' the entrance like that when they've been happily bringing in nectar on nice sunny days and then it gets a bit gloomy and wet. I tend to think they're reducing the entrance to help them reduce the nectar to honey. Mine will sometimes even sit outside, covering the entrance like that in the pouring rain.
This is all my own supposition of course - I'm no expert - but I have noticed that they act like this pretty predictably after/during a flow, with suddenly gloomy/damp weather. In fact two of my hives are doing this this morning, after we've had a mini heatwave, and now suddenly today we're expecting rain.

They are probably forming a guard to defend the hive against robbers. They are possibly alarmed by that hornet (I think) that flies in front of the hive a few seconds from the end of the video. But probably mostly from wasps and other bees.

You may want to reduce your entrance so that it is only 2-3cm wide unless you haven't already (hard to tell)

Hornet.PNG

Oh gosh yes, it is a wasp, never saw it before I posted film.
is there anything I should be doing apart from reducing entrance? Or do I just sit by and bite my nails?
789CEE1D-FAA2-40CE-A23B-65B75B7C3F5E.png

That is the first time I have seen a hornet, they are BIG.
It is absolutely lashing down now, should I manoeuvre the bees off the entrance to turn it around to the smaller entrance now, or wait until this skirmish with the hornet is over?

That is the first time I have seen a hornet, they are BIG.
It is absolutely lashing down now, should I manoeuvre the bees off the entrance to turn it around to the smaller entrance now, or wait until this skirmish with the hornet is over?

I'd wait till this evening.

But you don't have to faff around rotating the whole block. Entrances can be reduced with a bit of sponge, wood or wire mesh.

So after a couple of hours I had about 4 hornets trying to get into the hive or just wanting to kill bees and carry them off for a snack.
I have the hornets nest in a hollow in an old Oak tree quite close to the bees and on my land.
I presume there will be another stand off tomorrow and with possibly more hornets in attendance. Tonight I will put the winter door on and I was hopping to make a robbing screen, but I don’t have the mesh and would not be able to purchase any and make them until early evening tomorrow. Has anyone made them out of anything else? I am looking at a 500ml plastic bottle and thinking I could cut and slice that but would it be practical for one day or would it confuse the bees too much?

So after a couple of hours I had about 4 hornets trying to get into the hive or just wanting to kill bees and carry them off for a snack.
I have the hornets nest in a hollow in an old Oak tree quite close to the bees and on my land.
I presume there will be another stand off tomorrow and with possibly more hornets in attendance. Tonight I will put the winter door on and I was hopping to make a robbing screen, but I don’t have the mesh and would not be able to purchase any and make them until early evening tomorrow. Has anyone made them out of anything else? I am looking at a 500ml plastic bottle and thinking I could cut and slice that but would it be practical for one day or would it confuse the bees too much?

I have not had direct experience with hornets, but my understanding has always been that they are not nearly as much of a threat as wasps. They look very dramatic, and will take the odd bee on the wing, which is fine, but generally don't invade a hive like wasps do. Perhaps others may contradict me?

As such, at this stage I perhaps wouldn't worry too much about the robbing screen. It can confuse bees, as you say. If it gets worse you could install one - there are several threads on this subject on the forum. But I would see how they go with the reduced entrance. Your bees look easily numerous enough to deter a few hornets.

I doubt you need a robbing screen. The hornets are after the bees not the honey like wasps ... they are going to take a few bees but the Hornets are going to be gone in another week or two and for the few bees you might lose to them I would just let them be. They are threatened as a species and as an insect predating species the bees will be a very limited part of their overall diet.

My answer to the question of what's going on there would be "not a lot ", it's business as usual really for humid days post flow.

This is why a badminton racquet stood next to my hive inspection kit...

So an update 24hrs later after following the advice of Boston and reducing the entrance/exit.
What surprised me was the hornets still active in darkness, long after bees had retreated just inside the hive.
Bees are back out protecting the hive this morning, I have only seen one hornet today and managed to get stung in a friendly fire attack due to my constant and unnecessary faffing about, in the belief I am helping.
I did put some bowls of fairy liquid about 20ft from the hive with some dog meat as bait, which netted me three wasps. As you all have stated the bees are doing a Sterling job by themselves. Thank you

Latest posts

Back