What would hive damage due to heat look like?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Opening a hive tomorrow that has experienced the highest temperatures ever recorded in the UK. (until all the other stations post their values anyway)

Heatwave.jpg

Measured over 40degC in the shade behind the hives myself at 14:00 after which the hives get some shade. No bearding. Unlike Monday, no fanning in the sunshine. It was as if the landing board was too hot.
Everything looked OK from the outside. Active, presumably getting water.

Using wooden Nationals. BB and 3 or 4 supers. Open mesh floors but no ventilation above the crownboard.

Has anyone, probably someone from outside the UK, seen what happens to a hive that overheats? Brood dying? Comb collapse would be easy to see.

Thanks . . . . . Ben

Comb collapse and the bees that can get out will abscond leaving more comb collapse. Honey running out of the hive. Bees robbing.

Opening a hive tomorrow that has experienced the highest temperatures ever recorded in the UK. (until all the other stations post their values anyway)

View attachment 33008

Measured over 40degC in the shade behind the hives myself at 14:00 after which the hives get some shade. No bearding. Unlike Monday, no fanning in the sunshine. It was as if the landing board was too hot.
Everything looked OK from the outside. Active, presumably getting water.

Using wooden Nationals. BB and 3 or 4 supers. Open mesh floors but no ventilation above the crownboard.

Has anyone, probably someone from outside the UK, seen what happens to a hive that overheats? Brood dying? Comb collapse would be easy to see.

Thanks . . . . . Ben
I doubt you will find anything out of the ordinary. People are getting their knickers in a knot over nothing with this bees/sunshine nonsense.
My advice would be - it will do more harm than good opening up colonies for no good reason in this heat.

I doubt you will find anything out of the ordinary. People are getting their knickers in a knot over nothing with this bees/sunshine nonsense.
My advice would be - it will do more harm than good opening up colonies for no good reason in this heat.
Should be more normal temperatures tomorrow. They are queenless. I need to requeen with a nuc tomorrow before QCs emerge. Trying to improve colony as too much sacbrood.

I'm thinking there will be nothing out of the ordinary to see. They've probably done a great job of fetching water to cool things down.

fanning for inside coolling more efficient if dark , airtight and spacious thats how we when no time left for swimming in our sunny hot long summers and when night comes all out

and seems bees heat def mechanism works in same way - fanning dry air inwarrds from small entrance plus inside fanning guide air between combs up and then down and also beard out for less comb crowding and more space to circulate the cool night air - but yes if heat is daily and intense may the outer frames to the walls collapse more if them fresh combs not dark olds , this summer i am foundationless free(no wires nothing just starter strip combs) all fresh combs ve experienced 2 east wall combs collapse but both suceded and stand on between wall and floor but not collapsed(i try avoid inspect those wall frames and let bees build comb bridges with the wall) , havent experience anything wrong with brood but may it happens in small amounts and is not noticeable atleast

jep its stress period for bees and more for plants(shorter flows) but prior comes first so if ve prior reason inspect then go just dont hold much time the brood frames out and straight to sun and also better for you if select time of the day your apiary is on shade

i do never wear suit or smoke them in summer but they are also more quiet than other seasons and do my summer inspects mostly on early mornings 6oclock before sun hit the place or very very late afternoon hours if day is not such warm as ussual

Last edited:
fanning for inside coolling more efficient if dark , airtight and spacious thats how we when no time left for swimming in our sunny hot long summers and when night comes all out

and seems bees heat def mechanism works in same way - fanning dry air inwarrds from small entrance plus inside fanning guide air between combs up and then down and also beard out for less comb crowding and more space to circulate the cool night air - but yes if heat is daily and intense may the outer frames to the walls collapse more if them fresh combs not dark olds , this summer i am foundationless free(no wires nothing just starter strip combs) all fresh combs ve experienced 2 east wall combs collapse but both suceded and stand on between wall and floor but not collapsed(i try avoid inspect those wall frames and let bees build comb bridges with the wall) , havent experience anything wrong with brood but may it happens in small amounts and is not noticeable atleast

jep its stress period for bees and more for plants(shorter flows) but prior comes first so if ve prior reason inspect then go just dont hold much time the brood frames out and straight to sun and also better for you if select time of the day your apiary is on shade

i do never wear suit or smoke them in summer but they are also more quiet than other seasons and do my summer inspects mostly on early mornings 6oclock before sun hit the place or very very late afternoon hours if day is not such warm as ussual
Thanks magor,
Maybe half my frames are foundationless. I'll check for any movement in the outside frames before trying to lift them. The eastern side of the boxes would get more sun. No sign of honey dripping out so no major collapse or they just handled it.
I'm leaving them alone today, rain on the way and 29degC. Risking QCs emerging.
If local adaptation is a significant factor in colony success then yesterday none of my bees were prepared for sustained external temperatures above brood nest temperature. What must have kicked in was instinct.
Wish my bees or my technique allowed me to inspect without a suit. :)
. ... . Ben

Thanks magor,
Maybe half my frames are foundationless. I'll check for any movement in the outside frames before trying to lift them. The eastern side of the boxes would get more sun. No sign of honey dripping out so no major collapse or they just handled it.
I'm leaving them alone today, rain on the way and 29degC. Risking QCs emerging.
If local adaptation is a significant factor in colony success then yesterday none of my bees were prepared for sustained external temperatures above brood nest temperature. What must have kicked in was instinct.
Wish my bees or my technique allowed me to inspect without a suit. :)
. ... . Ben
i think all bees are and act almost the same way with the same mechanism/insticts...... if anything local it may d be if any bees adapted may for exmple fly in too hot/too cold/or windy areas when others do not

outside frames ussually are store frames and my observation is that bees when too hot ll clean up the comb side faces the wall leave it empty and with comb bridges and i try avoid lift them broke those bridges

i wouldnt risk QCs emerging except if you can cage/catch those virgins from cells

cant stand suit - sweat into burning sun for 5 months and more a year so had to used to not wear it (plus i like venom/addicted) and as for smoke is not just its because forbiden for most days in summer here and i also afraid for fire even touching it to the ground when everything around is toast/brushwood but more for do no like disturbe/pause them pheromones/communication same as i do no keel capped brood frames to no disturb pupae skinning and twisting.......its more theme of habit and reasoning in my head why do a thing or avoid do a thing and then with practising comes and the technique-gentle

am sure ya bees ll be ok dont worry and nice hives by the way and lovely place

With today's newspaper front pages, I think if I start lighting a smoker I could cause some panic in the village. :)

Maybe a ban could be in our future also.
. . .. . Ben
DSCF20220719-99.JPG

With today's newspaper front pages, I think if I start lighting a smoker I could cause some panic in the village. :)

Maybe a ban could be in our future also.
. . .. . Ben
View attachment 33013
I'm looking forward to another 'proper' great fire of london - with maybe the epicentre at Westminster

It's quite shocking how widespread the fires have been. As well as those around London, the BBC also reports:

"There have also been fires elsewhere in the country with major incidents declared in Leicestershire, East, North and South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, Hertfordshire, Suffolk and Norfolk."

James

Latest posts

Back