Burr / Brace Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueDrone

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can someone simply explain the difference ?
I just cannot grasp it.

Colin

One and the same broadly speaking. Brace comb is produced by bees to reinforce/ stabilise comb, burr comb is produced to fill any void greater than a bee space , if we insist on a difference :D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nitcomb?

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

E.T. phone comb

I think it time for me to nip down to my local take away for a curry comb!
VM

One and the same broadly speaking. Brace comb is produced by bees to reinforce/ stabilise comb, burr comb is produced to fill any void greater than a bee space , if we insist on a difference :D
VM

I think there is a difference, if only in the underlying cause.

Brace implies intentional support, which is what the bees do when 'gluing' bits of a hive together in an attempt to re-create their natural comb structure.

A 'Burr' - certainly in engineering terminology - implies a raised area above a 'land', or flat area. The sort of thing which is produced when you drill a hole in steel plate ...

Hence - Burr Comb is produced on the face of framed comb, as the result of the inter-comb spacing being too wide - such as in this particularly fine example:

wmbo8.jpg

Different underlying causes entirely. But some folks lump 'em together - never understood why.

LJ

I think there is a difference, if only in the underlying cause.

Brace implies intentional support, which is what the bees do when 'gluing' bits of a hive together in an attempt to re-create their natural comb structure.

A 'Burr' - certainly in engineering terminology - implies a raised area above a 'land', or flat area. The sort of thing which is produced when you drill a hole in steel plate ...

Hence - Burr Comb is produced on the face of framed comb, as the result of the inter-comb spacing being too wide - such as in this particularly fine example:

wmbo8.jpg

Different underlying causes entirely. But some folks lump 'em together - never understood why.

LJ

i was told never to rremove bur comb on top bars as it is either there as a ladder through the QE /beespace or to hold water in the upward facing cups to air condition the hive

Too much gap between wall and the frame.

Bees need space too to drone brood. They are mad to make it. They even brake foundation to get drone brood.

A free space in lower part of foundation allowes them make true their desire.

If you put 9 foundations in a 10 frame box, bees start to make extra combs.

Last edited:
A friend of mine won't remove burr comb/brace comb on the premiss that foraging is lost whilst the bees replace it :)

VM

I remove the bur because bees will be crushed ir there is no gap in bee space.

It is very usual that when the honey box is full and capped, bees make more or less burr there. It is their style. It is not end of the world.

Latest posts

Back