Bumblebee attack/robbing wbc colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Parkes

New Bee
Reaction score
Dead bees maybe 30 plus and one dead bumblebee....First experience! Anyone had a similar happening?

Could be 1 bumble queen looking for nest site & exploring the hive entrance. 30 dead bees could easily be from clearing out a few of the bodies not moved whilst it's been colder.

Thread heading is totally incorrect.
If they can chance on a free meal they will but robbing and attacking seriously !!!

Yes you often see them denuded of all their hairs.

Beehive derends simply its nest. No bumbblebee can do harm to the the hive.

The bumbblebee will be killed on frames if the bumbble does not escape from the hive.

Colony now dead this morning: two bumblebees flying close to the entrance. Video too big but photo of one of the intruders attached. If anyone wants to see the video it goes on WhatsApp.
Thread heading is totally incorrect.
If they can chance on a free meal they will but robbing and attacking seriously !!!

Attachments

• 20240215_125939.jpg
    20240215_125939.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
doubt you could call it a 'bumblebee attack' because
a) you'd be lucky to see more than the occasional queen prematurely out of hibernation at this time of year
b) bumbles don't gang up and 'attack' a hive full of bees.
Looks like your colony was close to death anyway with just the last few bees remaining from a dwindling colony

Could be the case; although they have recently finished their second slab of fondant due to the lousy weather.

Humble bees are pure opportunists, they will take a free meal and will use anywhere for a nest, your colony was obviously doomed and well on the way out if now a dead out.
For reasons why one will have to look else where and certainly not humble bees.

Last summer I observed a few bumblebees trying to rob some nucs. I did not mind, as the bumblebee was having a hard time. I was surprised to watch it squeezing through the hive entrance. I do not think they can do any serious damage.

To make a dent with robbing, more then a few humble bees will be needed. Most humble bees will be killed or ejected, one suspects a weak colony may be more at risk from humble bee intrusion.

Last summer I observed a few bumblebees trying to rob some nucs. I did not mind, as the bumblebee was having a hard time. I was surprised to watch it squeezing through the hive entrance. I do not think they can do any serious damage.

It tells that the nuc has too few bees and they are not able to guard the whole hive.
So it is eady to wasps too to go into the nuc.

It tells that the nuc has too few bees and they are not able to guard the whole hive.
So it is eady to wasps too to go into the nuc.
If it was in the autumn wasps and possibly other bees would of seen there demise.

Latest posts

Back