Bumble Bees - waht advice are you giving?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any beek destroying bumblebee nests for people should be ashamed

rubbish/// im not ashamed when a old man of 80 and his dog got 5 stings from the so called endangered bumble bees. 2 puffs of the powder and job done and I will destroy a lot more before the season finishes.. if any one wants to come and remove them. that's fine. but I aint[/QUOTE]

I was saddened, but not ashamed. I have relocated 2 colonies that people were refusing to allow remain, spoken to dozens reassuring and they agrees to keep. I teach that BB are precious where ever I go with my Observation hive.

But have destroyed I colony. It was head height in a holiday rental property near me. Owner allows me to keep my hives on his land, but he was getting anxious guests keep contacting him.
The bees were not harmless as bombing children, not just bumping into them. Tree bumbles do sting.. I know not as severe as honey bees, but they are the most feisty of Bumbles. I have been stung by one when near the nest in my own garden. The colony was not removable as under the eaves of a single floor chalet. No option.

Tree bumbles are NOT safe around humans.
Especially if the nest is at head height.

If anyone believes otherwise, I extend an open invitation to visit our garden and stand near the three nests in birdboxes which I have relocated from other people's gardens.

I expect them to stand there in short sleeves and skirt or shorts - and not to run away when they are stung repeatedly.

ANYONE who states that all bumblebees are harmless has never experienced an aggressive tree bumble nest - or is lying -and is doing the entire beekeeping fraternity a grave disservice. (It's like saying all dogs are safe).

I have never destroyed any bumble nest but would have no hesitation in doing so with tree bumbles if the need arose.

rubbish/// im not ashamed when a old man of 80 and his dog got 5 stings from the so called endangered bumble bees. 2 puffs of the powder and job done and I will destroy a lot more before the season finishes.. if any one wants to come and remove them. that's fine. but I aint

I was saddened, but not ashamed. I have relocated 2 colonies that people were refusing to allow remain, spoken to dozens reassuring and they agrees to keep. I teach that BB are precious where ever I go with my Observation hive.

But have destroyed I colony. It was head height in a holiday rental property near me. Owner allows me to keep my hives on his land, but he was getting anxious guests keep contacting him.
The bees were not harmless as bombing children, not just bumping into them. Tree bumbles do sting.. I know not as severe as honey bees, but they are the most feisty of Bumbles. I have been stung by one when near the nest in my own garden. The colony was not removable as under the eaves of a single floor chalet. No option.[/QUOTE]

What dust do you use, Heather?

I used wasp nest destroyer. All I had to hand. And that I only use if wasps are too near to my doors and causing chaos.
I have since totally blocked, with wood, the entrance to the BB nest. All quiet. Sad.

I had to destroy some tree bumblebees i have never seen such an aggressive bumble bee .
They went straight for my face as soon as i was within 3 feet of the nest.
The old gentleman on his sticks couldn't move fast enough to escape them and they were right next to his path.

edit
i was so shocked by them i had to look up what they were when i got home.

Last edited:
Tree bumbles are NOT safe around humans.
Especially if the nest is at head height.

If anyone believes otherwise, I extend an open invitation to visit our garden and stand near the three nests in birdboxes which I have relocated from other people's gardens.

I guess they are like honeybees - some tree bumble colonies are more defensive than others. We have several rescued bombus hypnorum colonies in bird boxes in the garden and have never been stung.

One piece of advice you can give people is to clean out bird boxes by the autumn. Tree bumbles will only use those with old nest material; never empty ones. And the birds won't mind either.

Do you need to be licensed to use pesticides to kill insects on somebody else's property?

if its a business yes. If you are not charging then no, but if it poisons someone else's bees then they could claim off you.

I don't know why everyone is trying to save them, they are an aggressive invasive species.

Bird box removal and resited £50 nest moved from loft £80. Call out fee £20.

if its a business yes. If you are not charging then no, but if it poisons someone else's bees then they could claim off you.

I thought even over the counter pesticides can only be used on your own property and that as soon as you use it on another persons property it become illegal as you breach the own use waiver under the terms of act

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how do you remove them from a loft i tryed once was a night mare!

Cut insulation they are under/or in scoop up with a hand shovel as this helps to lift and keep in one piece. Put in to a box ane leave in original position. Best to do this during day when flying bees are out. Return at night seal up and take way out into country side and put in a nice dry barn. Best to work with red light. Since doing 5 his way have no problems

Last edited:
The Humble Bumble

Ive moved a fair few so far, if I can get to them I can remove them. Can remove them if I cant, but will only be moving problem on so before moving I will find a bird box use as a bait hive get them to leave and hopefully they take bait hive then collect as it getting dark, I haven't charged any money if I can get to the nest easy. But in my opinion many are being killed because they are under a patio for example. Ive seen Rentokill going to houses to destroy. Bumble Bees are being put to death because it is easier period and that is disgusting

no bumble bee should be put to death

rubbish/// im not ashamed when a old man of 80 and his dog got 5 stings from the so called endangered bumble bees. 2 puffs of the powder and job done and I will destroy a lot more before the season finishes.. if any one wants to come and remove them. that's fine. but I aint

The bees were not harmless as bombing children, not just bumping into them. Tree bumbles do sting.. I know not as severe as honey bees, but they are the most feisty of Bumbles. I have been stung by one when near the nest in my own garden. The colony was not removable as under the eaves of a single floor chalet. No option.[/QUOTE] I Beg to differ nothing is non removable, Its how you apply yourself and the way you think,

your mad not to charge, your providing a service at the end of the day. before i started charging most ppl gave me 10 or 20 and said here have a beer on me

just a thought

Jays Cleaning fluid will move them from any where without hurting one.......

I started charging as I was being used instead of pest controllers.. and saving the caller £100 a time.

Then the fuel, the gaffer tape, the hassle . the stings etc...

People don't value what they get for free.

Bumble bee nests

Ive moved a fair few so far, if I can get to them I can remove them. Can remove them if I cant, but will only be moving problem on so before moving I will find a bird box use as a bait hive get them to leave and hopefully they take bait hive then collect as it getting dark, I haven't charged any money if I can get to the nest easy. But in my opinion many are being killed because they are under a patio for example. Ive seen Rentokill going to houses to destroy. Bumble Bees are being put to death because it is easier period and that is disgusting

I'd love you to educate me
Presumably if you can see/get to the bumble bee nest then it is not dissimilar to a honey bee cut-out. Do you just cut the wax, remove the nest and push it into a regular bird box?
But what if you can't get to the nest? How do you go about turning a bird box into a bait hive to tempt the bumble bees to use it in place of their nest
You mention moving them on. Is it possible to get them to abandon a nest and leave the location

Back