Bumble Bees - waht advice are you giving?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short-haired bumblebees

Re introduced into the UK http://www.bumblebeereintroduction.org/the-project/
Last year they also released loads of common bumble bee queens in the south east

"Reintroducing the extinct Short-haired bumblebee back to the UK has a number of merits, not the least being the reintroduction itself which is the first of its kind. The invaluable knowledge that would be gained could ultimately help halt this and other bumblebee species’ decline across Europe.

This project was formed through a partnership of Natural England, Hymettus, the RSPB, the Bumblebee Conservation Trust and the Swedish Government. It is also supported by a number of scientific advisors and a dedicated group of volunteers."

There seems to be some confusion over the different species.

The tree Bumblebee is Bombus hypnorum. It is a recent arrival but was not deliberately introduced. I had a nest above a door at work and couldn't approach them without getting attacked. They didn't return the next year.

The short-haired Bumblebee was reintroduced in Kent. This is Bombus subterraneus, a native species recently extinct. The short-haired is much more mild-mannered. There are videos of Nikki Gammans who led the project handling them. Website for the project - http://www.bumblebeereintroduction.org/

Ray

Last edited:
:iagree:
Tree bumbles are NOT safe around humans.
Especially if the nest is at head height.

If anyone believes otherwise, I extend an open invitation to visit our garden and stand near the three nests in birdboxes which I have relocated from other people's gardens.

I expect them to stand there in short sleeves and skirt or shorts - and not to run away when they are stung repeatedly.

ANYONE who states that all bumblebees are harmless has never experienced an aggressive tree bumble nest - or is lying -and is doing the entire beekeeping fraternity a grave disservice. (It's like saying all dogs are safe).

I have never destroyed any bumble nest but would have no hesitation in doing so with tree bumbles if the need arose.

Ive moved a fair few so far, if I can get to them I can remove them. Can remove them if I cant, but will only be moving problem on so before moving I will find a bird box use as a bait hive get them to leave and hopefully they take bait hive then collect as it getting dark, I haven't charged any money if I can get to the nest easy. But in my opinion many are being killed because they are under a patio for example. Ive seen Rentokill going to houses to destroy. Bumble Bees are being put to death because it is easier period and that is disgusting

NO IT AINT DISCUSTING .. IT IS BEING SENSIBLE... PUT TO DEATH MY BUM:icon_204-2:

jays fluid is not approved for bumble bee removal
Jeyes Fluid is poisonous to worms and ground insects, kills moss and lichen and I would imagine kills bee brood... It is NOT something I would use near any living thing - unless I wanted to kill them..

bumbles

People have a Duty of care there is no care what so ever here,...........

ummmmmm

I'd love you to educate me
Presumably if you can see/get to the bumble bee nest then it is not dissimilar to a honey bee cut-out. Do you just cut the wax, remove the nest and push it into a regular bird box?
But what if you can't get to the nest? How do you go about turning a bird box into a bait hive to tempt the bumble bees to use it in place of their nest
You mention moving them on. Is it possible to get them to abandon a nest and leave the location
I think it is possible for anything, as to educate you ummmm only you can do that. I consider all options and I am totally aware of how dangerous they are, and a persons safety is paramount. Don't put them to death without trying any other methods. We have a Duty of care.

Here is one I did at the weekend.
Bird box full of tree bumbles gently moved down to the bottom of the garden from just outside the back door. I asked for petrol money only and the elderly couple made me a cuppa and we had a long chat about bees in general.
I will personally only attempt to move bumbles in bird nest boxes but have a friend who is a pest control guy, that will re-house bumblebee nests (so long as he can get to them) rather than kill them.

BTW besides a loud buzzing when I gently taped up the entrance, there was no aggression from them at all and even when I took the tape off in the new location only a few came out to check things out.

I think it is possible for anything, as to educate you ummmm only you can do that. I consider all options and I am totally aware of how dangerous they are, and a persons safety is paramount. Don't put them to death without trying any other methods. We have a Duty of care.

So what's happening with your anti-theft device then? long past Christmas now

Some advice please

If you were to share your knowledge and expertise that would help me to educate myself.

When you have a colony of bumblebees that you wish to rehouse but you cannot see/get to the nest - perhaps they are ensconced just under the facia board of a house - how do you encourage them out and into a bird box?

I have no desire to kill bumblebees, but I cannot advise householders or attempt the re-housing until I know how to persuade the bees to relocate when I cannot get direct access to the nest

Here is one I did at the weekend.
Bird box full of tree bumbles gently moved down to the bottom of the garden from just outside the back door. I asked for petrol money only and the elderly couple made me a cuppa and we had a long chat about bees in general.
I will personally only attempt to move bumbles in bird nest boxes but have a friend who is a pest control guy, that will re-house bumblebee nests (so long as he can get to them) rather than kill them.

BTW besides a loud buzzing when I gently taped up the entrance, there was no aggression from them at all and even when I took the tape off in the new location only a few came out to check things out.

I have never seen a tree bumble nest in daylight without around 10-20 males circling around .

Since removing my name from the swarm lists, the phone has now stopped. Peace at last lol

On Sunday I got a call about a "swarm of bees" in a very busy stable yard. Went along, and turned out to be a small bumble nest established in a fold of a horse rug hanging vertically in a busy, enclosed space inside the stables. With the risk of the nest being destroyed, I chose to carefully cut it out of the rug, into a small box and home to my garden. They appear to be settling down very peacefully and happily there and while I would 99% of the time encourage people to leave the bumbles where they are, in this instance I was glad to take a chance and move them out of a place where the potential for adverse encounters would just give them a bad rep.

Jays

Jeyes Fluid is poisonous to worms and ground insects, kills moss and lichen and I would imagine kills bee brood... It is NOT something I would use near any living thing - unless I wanted to kill them..
If you know how to use it its safe, that is one of many things that can be used. I am a Beekeeper and a swarm collector, If you know your creatures then easy to get. If you only know collecting Honey Bees then you are a Beekeeper.

confused

Right! If I read this correctly, the first one seems to say that while public authorities should have a duty of care, they are not obliged to do so. This seems to mean that they can do what they like

The list on the DEFRA site is, as I suspected, the BAP list (now updated). None of these species is actually protected by law... in the same way as Marsh Fritillaries are for instance

yes I will admit that this is the weakest of persuasion that we can use, but its better than nothing.....

There is also this section of PPS9
'Planning Policy Statement 9 Biodiversity and Geological Conservation (PPS9)

Of relevance to biodiversity generally is paragraph 14. This states that when considering development proposals, local planning authorities should maximise opportunities for building-in beneficial biodiversity or geological features as part of good design. Planning obligations should be used where appropriate.

Of particular relevance to species of principal importance for the conservation of biodiversity in England (the “Section 41 species”) is paragraph 16. In the context of development proposals, local planning authorities are directed to ensure that “these species are protected from the adverse effects of development, where appropriate, by using planning conditions or obligations. Planning authorities should refuse permission where harm to the species or their habitat would result unless the need for, and benefits of, the development clearly outweigh that harm.'

If you know how to use it its safe, that is one of many things that can be used. I am a Beekeeper and a swarm collector, If you know your creatures then easy to get. If you only know collecting Honey Bees then you are a Beekeeper.

Sorry, Norfolk, I don't understand what that means. Bumble bees don't swarm, so people who know how to collect honey bees are, ipso facto, swarm collectors.

Right! If I read this correctly, the first one seems to say that while public authorities should have a duty of care, they are not obliged to do so. This seems to mean that they can do what they like

The list on the DEFRA site is, as I suspected, the BAP list (now updated). None of these species is actually protected by law... in the same way as Marsh Fritillaries are for instance

yes I will admit that this is the weakest of persuasion that we can use, but its better than nothing.....

There is also this section of PPS9
'Planning Policy Statement 9 Biodiversity and Geological Conservation (PPS9)

Of relevance to biodiversity generally is paragraph 14. This states that when considering development proposals, local planning authorities should maximise opportunities for building-in beneficial biodiversity or geological features as part of good design. Planning obligations should be used where appropriate.

Of particular relevance to species of principal importance for the conservation of biodiversity in England (the “Section 41 species”) is paragraph 16. In the context of development proposals, local planning authorities are directed to ensure that “these species are protected from the adverse effects of development, where appropriate, by using planning conditions or obligations. Planning authorities should refuse permission where harm to the species or their habitat would result unless the need for, and benefits of, the development clearly outweigh that harm.'

Not sure that the planning process is relevant here, I'm afraid. Most calls are made because "the bees" (whether they are bees, wasps or other) are causing a nuisance, (perceived or real). More likely to fall under Env Health than Planning, in the unlikely event that legislation becomes relevant.

The local authority is not obliged to provide a pest control service, except to ensure that "their area" is not overrun with rats and mice. Historically, most have provided pest control in the public interest. Due to budget cuts, a lot of authorities are either reducing pest control services, charging - even for fleas and rats - or are withdrawing the service entirely, as it's not a statutory duty.

They will, usually, provide contacts for local pest control companies.

The upside is that a lot of people will try to live with the bees rather than pay to have them removed.....

Our local authority refers people with bee problems to me as a registered swarm collector. Rentokil do the same.

I charge a £20 callout fee.. and this means roughly half the callers go no further - they expect something for nothing so don't value the service. The minimum pest controller fee round here is roughly £80...or more.

The rest get what they pay for.. up to 60 minutes work. I refuse to do cutouts/roofs and heights (up to two storeys only). But bumbles I will do: 8 calls this week - all bumbles.. 3 actual visits..

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but... I went to see a lady at a plant nursery today, about putting some hives at her site, and she told me she had bought some bumblebees to help pollinate stuff, and she showed me her now empty bee chalet. Here's the link to the site she bought them from http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=5&cat=22&id_product=431

Maybe there is a business opportunity in re-siting bumble bees?

Back