Bulk in shops

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxpinx

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I’ve been approached by a local shop to supply honey in buckets. The idea is that customers will come to the shop with their own containers and fill them and pay for the weight of honey.
Does anyone know if this is ok? I’m concerned about labeling, tamper proofing etc etc

Thanks

Two thoughts...bottling honey from a bucket can be very messy.
Time scale to sell a bucket? Will it have set and be unbottable.

Yes, it just doesn’t strike me as a great plan!

I’m more asking about the legality of it.

Yes, it just doesn’t strike me as a great plan!

I’m more asking about the legality of it.

Label the bucket with the same information you label jars, and then its just another customer buying your honey. If the shop want to fill a paddling pool with it and give customers spoons thats up to them!

You would be supplying the shop - so as long as you label the container you sell to the shop correctly, what they do with it is their responsibility - isn't it ?

Went into a local 'bee' shop in Slovakia a few years back. They had large clear vats of different types of honey available, on a bring-your-own-container basis. They simply had a valve at the bottom ... container underneath, open valve, fill and close.

Seems reasonable to me. Shop owner's responsibility to sort that all out ... just supply the shop with the bulk honey?

Went into a local 'bee' shop in Slovakia a few years back. They had large clear vats of different types of honey available, on a bring-your-own-container basis. They simply had a valve at the bottom ... container underneath, open valve, fill and close.

Seems reasonable to me. Shop owner's responsibility to sort that all out ... just supply the shop with the bulk honey?

Yes but beefriendly has a point.
If your honey crystallises quickly they will be in a mess and blame the supplier.
I think it’s up to the OP to explain why it might not work at least

I also agree with Beefriendly. We were approached by a refill shop to sell our honey like the op but we decided that we could risk the good reputation we have for our honey if there were problems with granulation etc.

All the shop needs is a few drops of honey and an invasion of wasps.. and their hygiene is up the proverbial.

I’ve been approached by a local shop to supply honey in buckets. The idea is that customers will come to the shop with their own containers and fill them and pay for the weight of honey.
Does anyone know if this is ok? I’m concerned about labeling, tamper proofing etc etc

Thanks

The shop is the 'honey packer' so it's their responsibility to ensure the 'point of sale' legislative requirements are made.
There is no legal requirement to have tamper proof labels BTW

The shop may have seen something like this
29L-Heated-Acrylic-Bottling-Tank.jpg

My local farm shop sells ~50 1lb jars per week so if they are selling that quantity and warming is an option I can't see crystallisation as being a significant issue. Hmf on the other hand........

Wasps - a decent insect zapper should cope. They have plenty of ripe fruit at the farm shop and no wasp issues.

Thanks

As long as you label it to the shop, anything that happens you should be in the clear and you could argue the point you sold the honey “wholesale” and you thought they would jar and label it as their own branded produce and sell it “retail” think the shop has a good idea BUT!!! All containers would have to be weighed 1st then again after filling and any spills could be problematic. But as your “contract” is between the Buisness and you, what the Buisness does after you have sold it is completely up to them. You have completed your contract. How much and at what quantity it’s sold at after your sale is nothing to do with you now.

Latest posts

Back