Type size - small honey jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been asked to produce 227g jars this year for a small shop. Does anyone know what font size or font height in mm, the weight needs to be on smaller jar labels?

I know 454g and 340g have to be 4mm height for the weight type on the labels, but can't find any info on the smaller label size & size of type it needs to be. Don't want to fall foul of Trading standards etc
Thanks
Elaine

I have used these jars for giveaways. I think you would be hard pressed to get all the info on the jar that could be viewed from one place and suggest you put it on a smart card label tied to the neck. There may be separate regs for smaller jars but God knows where you would find it!

I have used these jars for giveaways. I think you would be hard pressed to get all the info on the jar that could be viewed from one place and suggest you put it on a smart card label tied to the neck. There may be separate regs for smaller jars but God knows where you would find it!
227gm is 8 oz jars ... plenty of room for the same size label as I have on my 12 oz (I have both but the 8 oz don't sell as well). No need to really reduce the font size on the mandatory details.

I use 227g / 8oz hex jars. The label covers three sides. All the relevant and required info is on them. I used the font size listed in the BBKA honey booklet which lists the regulations in the back.

That may be true for 28g (1oz) jars but really not an issue for 227g (8oz or 1/2lb) jars that are being asked about here.

With regard to the original question, The Weights and Measures (Packaged Goods) Regulations 2006 require 4mm size of weight information for applicable products for quantities sold between 200g and 1kg, so still applies to 227g sizes. 3mm applicable for 50g-200g and 2 mm for less than 50g.

All other mandatory information must be displayed in a typeface for which the lower case "x" is at least 1.2mm in height - which seems like an opportunity to market a typeface with a disproportionately large lower case "x" when writing labels that don't include the letter x... - but that requirement comes from Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011 (retained).

I have used these jars for giveaways. I think you would be hard pressed to get all the info on the jar that could be viewed from one place
I manage to get all the relevant information on the lid of of a 1.5 oz jar (inch diameter label) and using a font height for the weight larger than required, so I don't see why you couuldn't get all the information on a label for an 8oz jar

As usual I didn't read the post right!!!! I thought they were 2oz jars! No problem with 8oz :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:
Would I give away 8oz jars? .... Not bloody likely 😁

Latest posts

Back