building frame

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Happyculteur, what is the French word? I am guessing that you are referring to some kind of entrance reducer.
(Reducteur d’entree?)

Hi Happyculteur, what is the French word? I am guessing that you are referring to some kind of entrance reducer.
(Reducteur d’entree?)
(Reducteur d’entree?)
Hello. No, it's called a cadre temoin. Basically it's a frame that can fit in a cutout in the back wall or inside the hive at the edge of the brood nest. By taking it out regularly without disturbing the rest of the hive you can read from it what is going on in the hive.

Hello. No, it's called a cadre temoin. Basically it's a frame that can fit in a cutout in the back wall or inside the hive at the edge of the brood nest. By taking it out regularly without disturbing the rest of the hive you can read from it what is going on in the hive.
So a floor under the open mesh floor?

It's what we call a dummy board. They are usually located against the end wall to make it easier to get the first frame out without rolling bees. I've never used one at the edge of the brood nest - interesting.

Imagine a window in the back wall with recesses at the top where you can put a frame in the hive perpendicular to the others. The gap is then blocked. Later, say a week, you take it out and inspect it. you can see how the bees are building, if the queen is laying, if they are making swarming preparations, what the varroa situation is, etc. etc. You cut off the wax, put it back , and take it out a week later. to check again. There is no top opening and the visit is rapid. Originally I think the idea came from Germany, and the frame was put inside the hive parallel to the others and on the edge of the brood nest. I hope that is a bit clearer. I've read about it, but before testing it I was wondering if any of you had tried it out. Thanks

http://bi-ne-drehu.over-blog.com/article-le-cadre-temoin-56928091.html
So it's a window to let you peek in the side?
I always use a clear crown board because I like spying on the bees without disturbing them so I guess it's similar. Although I would have thought the view from above tells you a bit more than the view from the side?

* Sorry! We were obviously all googling simultaneously 😀

Last edited:
So a bit more than just a window. You use what they're doing with comb built in the window space to let you know for instance if the colony is currently bringing in nectar or if they're running out of space and using it for brood etc.
For me I think I'd rather just inspect by opening them up and avoid having a hole in the side of my hive - which must be tricky to fully weatherproof?

Reminded me of the flow hive side window.
a7rii_FH2_WRC_HERO_20180413_178-Edit_blue_sky_replace__72dpi.jpg

Yes, but when the frame is perpendicular to the others ?
But it’s outside the brood nest never mind what orientation it has
Everybody had said it won’t work but we all like to learn so why don’t you try it and report back?
I shall ask a friend who beekeeps in France what he knows.

Latest posts

Back