Building an observation hive…

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’ve got a couple of pieces of Perspex left over from making crown boards and wondered about trying to make a simple observation hive…

Anybody done something similar? Do many of you use these on show stands when selling honey?

I’ve got two Perspex pieces like the one below (crown board for scale)
0D7B8F26-041D-4B3C-8693-0EE80CE27E72.jpeg

’ve got a couple of pieces of Perspex left over from making crown boards and wondered about trying to make a simple observation hive…
Observation hives while attractive are pretty horrid on the bees. Agree with BC. Make some crown boards

Observation hives while attractive are pretty horrid on the bees. Agree with BC. Make some crown boards
Curious why you say they're horrid for the bees? At my last house I had one in the living room. It held two deep frames, was double glazed plus insulated closures over the windows. It could be turned around a central pivot, which was also the entrance/exit for the bees to outside the house. The whole thing was made of oak & nicely finished. Visitors were fascinated!
As I recall the bees did ok in it.

Curious why you say they're horrid for the bees? At my last house I had one in the living room. It held two deep frames, was double glazed plus insulated closures over the windows. It could be turned around a central pivot, which was also the entrance/exit for the bees to outside the house. The whole thing was made of oak & nicely finished. Visitors were fascinated!
OK, just my opinion. Was yours a hive set up so you could observe it?
A bit different from a couple of frames taken out of a hive, kept open each side so that the bees seeing the light try to get out and drip fed sugar water?

Yes, it was a functioning hive, great for seeing the waggle dances, watching the queen laying, etc. They never seemed affected by the sudden light when taking off the insulating window covers.

exactly - totally different to an observation hive to take to a show or whatever, where the bees are cooped up there all day, no way to ventilate if it gets too warm. I've often seen bees getting stressed out in observation hives in these events - and not even at the height of summer.

exactly - totally different to an observation hive to take to a show or whatever, where the bees are cooped up there all day, no way to ventilate if it gets too warm. I've often seen bees getting stressed out in observation hives in these events - and not even at the height of summer.
Absolutely. I watched in horror one time as bees tried to remove dead pupae, pupae that had died from exposure to heat and lack of ventilation. An SBI once told me he hated seeing them at shows as they were always under stress. One he spotted had obvious AFB for heavens sake!

That sounds fascinating. Did you build it yourself?

I have a plan to build a workshop in the garden if I can get planning permission.
I might set it up in there.
I remember our postman enquired about the bees coming and going through a plastic "waste" pipe in the wall. He came in and had a look: thought it was amazing.

I have a plan to build a workshop in the garden if I can get planning permission.
I might set it up in there.
I remember our postman enquired about the bees coming and going through a plastic "waste" pipe in the wall. He came in and had a look: thought it was amazing.
How do you go about any sort of management…presume you didn’t open it up in the living room?!

I never saw swarm cells, would have been fascinating
That’s really interesting, I had no idea a two frame colony would be viable long term. I wonder why they didn’t swarm…

The late lamented Dishmop - much missed on this forum had an observation hive in his lounge for many years - he used to manage it by swapping out frames with another hive in his apiary

Latest posts

Back