Brood box added

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I have 3 very strong colonies,I wanted to do a shook swarm,but because of the amount of bees 3supers on each,I didn't thing I could squeeze them into 1 brood box,so what I have done is.
I've added a brood box above the queen excluder on each hive,with foundation,plan is when they have drawn it out I will swap them round with queen on the new drawn foundation,let the old frames hatch and then remove.thus replacing all brood frames.
Have I done this right?

The idea behind a shook swarm is so that all the varroa in the sealed cells is left behind, you will still have them on the bees. So all you are doing in effect is putting the bees onto new foundation its called a bailey frame change. So if you wanted to get rid of a load of varroa then you will still be in the same position as you started. If you just wanted them on new foundation then you have done it right.

Last edited:
The idea behind a shook swarm is so that all the varroa in the sealed cells is left behind, you will still have them on the bees. So all you are doing in effect is putting the bees onto new foundation its called a bailey frame change. So if you wanted to get rid of a load of varroa then you will still be in the same position as you started. If you just wanted them on new foundation then you have done it right.

I knew it had a name but could not remember,
I was not sure if you have to put queen on the foundation.

Latest posts

Back