Brood and a Half

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycadman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Experimented on one of my hives this year with brood and a half for the first time. Mixed feelings - some good. But that's not the question:

Should you over winter with the "half" on top, below or does it matter?

If you are runing them as a brood and a half you run them as that.

There may be some discussion for a brood and super over-wintered, as that is a different situation.

Surely the numbers which influenced your choice to have a brood and a half in the summer would have significantly diminished now and so you are not facing the same circumstances of lack of space? Would it not be better to combine so there is a greater nucleus of bees in one brood box to keep warm over winter?

Would it not be better to combine so there is a greater nucleus of bees in one brood box to keep warm over winter?

Combine? The boxes are 'combined' - approximately equivalent to a 14 x 12, so what are you meaning?

I run mine on brood & 1/2. The 1/2 is on top and it stays there over winter.

i put my super underneath for winter

Clearly not running a brood and a half then? A super is for honey and is not the same as a shallow brood box.

Last edited:
i put my super underneath for winter

Clearly not running a brood anbd a half then? A super is for honey and is not the same as a shallow brood box.

they were half brood but soon got filled with nectar

Thank you for the feed back.

It seems not to matter which way round then. I think that I will leave my "half" on top. Less lifting when you are inspecting.

I had read that it is better to put the "half" underneath for winter. By the end of the winter the bees have tended to move up and then you have an easy option if you want to go back to single brood.

you have an easy option if you want to go back to single brood.

The easier(?) and definite option is to leave as they are and simply insert a Q/E between and wait for three weeks, as long as you ensure the queen is in the bottom box.

Same as shifting boxes around and then finding there is brood already in the 'half'.

Oliver90owner - ....what do you mean by combined?

I mean combine the bees to give a good cluster over winter - not the boxes i.e. have all the BEES which are in the brood and the half in one brood box only.

Latest posts

Back