Brewers Yeast for 'pollen' patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieMc

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm going to try to make some home made 'pollen' patties

The recipe I have says -

"The dry mix consists of the following:"
x Soybean Flour, 3 parts by weight
x Dried Brewer’s Yeast, 1 part by weight
x Dry skimmed Milk, 1 part by weight

Taken from the Scottish Beekeepers website -
http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/Portals/0/Documents/TDS number 9 pollen substitute.pdf

But I can't find packets of dried Brewer's Yeast. Can I use Brewer's Yeast tablets from a health food shop and crush them? If so, would the proportion of weight be reduced? And is B complex tablets the same?

Any help would be appreciated

Choices are not much. You may write what ever but bees' nutrition must be on high level.
Those Scotch stuffs have no vitamins at all. Dry milk is not proper food for bees.

Last edited:
health food shops sell it, try your local place, and then Holland & Barratt

Keep in mind the fat values in reference to Soya flour do vary.

I wanted a low fat, high protein;

Soya Protein Isolate with only 0.9g fat from a UK sport supplement retailer.

Yes, but the bees aren't after a 'six-pack'.

Real pollen has quite a content of oil. Hence degreasing with alcohol as part of microscopy slide preparation ...

plus fat soya is better than non fat. You get from supermarket normal soya flour whichhave 20% fat.
No need to get better.

All sport supplements are expencive.

I can't find packets of dried Brewer's Yeast. Can I use Brewer's Yeast tablets from a health food shop and crush them? If so, would the proportion of weight be reduced? And is B complex tablets the same?
As others have said, search ebay under "equestrian", about 2 quid a kilo for sack quantities. Anywhere selling horse and stable stuff should have tubs of it. Yeast are rich in various vitamins, including many of the ones with a "B" label. A tablet labelled "B complex" might be extracted from yeast, but yeast itself will be a lot cheaper.

I'd be wary about using milk powder, there's lactose in there which bees can't digest. Hooper suggests a simple 3:1 soya flour to yeast, made up to paste with syrup. The SBA formula suggests a quart of heavy sugar solution per pound of dry mix. Isn't that something like 13 parts sugar to 5 parts of all the other dry ingredients? Might make it more attractive to starving bees and nothing wrong with feeding sugar, but be aware that their formula is mostly sugar.

@RosieMac, You can beat yourself to death over soya flour, but unless you have a ready supplier, just go to Holland & Barratt and at £1.85 per 500g as it is available. If you plan early then you take advantage of their various sales promotions to get the effective cost down. Low fat, high fat - cobblers - just add more or less rape seed oil to the mix, life is just too short.

If you had been reading the mail then you would have been aware that Finman has written extensively about the subject.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21538&page=2
post #20 gives the recipe.

Freeflow (pitted) dates and dried yeast are available from online bakery suppliers at good prices and next day delivery as standard,

I use to feed every spring about 100 kg yeast-soya-pollen patty.

It gives quite a lot bees.

just been on fleabay

Pure brewers yeast for horses..... 1.9kg £6.99 plus £4.99 P+P = near enough £5.99 per KG does that not seem expensive?

just been on fleabay

Pure brewers yeast for horses..... 1.9kg £6.99 plus £4.99 P+P = near enough £5.99 per KG does that not seem expensive?
brewers yeast equimins sell it in 3 kilo pots very reasonable use it for my greyhounds devon based phone number o1548 531770.

Thanks Pete

that should be right near me!

I will go check it out.

Latest posts

Back