Sugar in patties

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm planning to make some pollen substitute with brewers yeast and soya flour. Reading through last years epic thread on the subject it seems that in the absence of pollen, 50% sugar is needed to make it palateable. But is this 50% of the dry weight or the moist weight? It doesn't seem as if buying pollen is a viable option, and I could get nektapoll but then I might as well buy my honey from Harrods.

I'm considering 2 parts sugar, 1 part breawers yeast and 1 part soya flour plus ascorbic acid, then enough water to moisten- or do I need to dissolve the sugar and add it as syrup?

All comments welcome :)

I make mine by adding 1:1 sugar syrup to moisten or this year with the excess of honey from 2011 I've used honey instead, (all my own obviously).

Peter

Sugar content 50% is needed to stop fermenting and mold formation and bacterium growth. You understand that if you dilute that with water, spoiling starts at once.

Home style strawberry jelly needs 50% sugar content like many other jelllies.

First you measure all stuffs, water included, and then same amount of sugar. I use fructose sugar about 1/3 of sugar because it takes moisture from hive air and keep patty soft.

I make a stong syrup first and then add flour sugar to rise the sugar content.

Last edited:
I make mine by adding 1:1 sugar syrup to moisten or this year with the excess of honey from 2011 I've used honey instead, (all my own obviously).

Peter

That is odd because syrup has allready 50% sugar and the you add other stuffs. Sugar content will be perhaps under 30%. It is too low then. Don't say that you make things another way.

However, you must add flour sugar to rise totalt content to 50%.

Last edited:
Sugar content 50% is needed to stop fermenting and mold formation and bacterium growth. You understand that if you dilute that with water, spoiling starts at once.

Home style strawberry jelly needs 50% sugar content like many other jelllies.

First you measure all stuffs, water included, and then same amount of sugar. I use fructose sugar about 1/3 of sugar because it takes moisture from hive air and keep patty soft.

I make a stong syrup first and then add flour sugar to rise the sugar content.

Thanks Finman, exactly what I needed to know.

"Home style strawberry jelly needs 50% sugar content like many other jelllies."

You may sterilize the jelly or juice with lower concentration, but when you start to use the food in table, it takes microbia and start to ferment.

If you look jellies in super market, you see that hermetic jellies have 50% sugar or even more. They get soon mold if they do not have that.

Latest posts

Back