Breeder queens: Myth or reality

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the UK, is it a bit silly to splash out on queens that were tested in Europe?
Much better to buy more and test at home.

Edit to say b+'s queen that built up slow wouldn't have reduced yield here because all our honey is late.

For the UK, is it a bit silly to splash out on queens that were tested in Europe?
Much better to buy more and test at home.

Edit to say b+'s queen that built up slow wouldn't have reduced yield here because all our honey is late.

No.
They are first compared to full-sibs in the same apiary (so environment is a constant) then against related individuals in other apiaries.

I don't regard the yield as an insurmountable problem. I can easily increase this in the next generation by carefully selecting the drone side of the pedigree. Its the other traits (particularly docility/varroa management) that I am interested in.
I have one in mind that I think would be perfect but she isn't tested yet. Her mother has an excellent pedigree/performance profile and was selected as the 4a sire on Vlieland this year (so this years virgins will all mate with her drones). I'd be taking a bit of a punt by using this queen without breeding values (her expected breeding value is 133% so she should do well). If I can't find anything better, I'll talk to Pim about using her. The expected breeding value of the progeny would be (113 + 133)/2 = 123% so they should still be about 2 sd above the mean.

Latest posts

Back