• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Brand new equipment for sale - Burton on Trent area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Bee 2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
As I'm having to give up beekeeping (bad allergic reaction to a sting), I'm clearing out my equipment. I currently have 2 new flatpack 14 x 12 red cedar brood boxes (seconds) ex Th***es at £25 each for sale and also 57 new 14 x 12 brood frames (seconds) also ex Th***es at 0.70p each. PM me if you're interested.

Hi. Have you still got the equipment for sale and if so what is the lwest price you would take for the lot. I can currently buy the broods for a little over £28 and the frames for 85p
If you have anything else for sale please let me know
Phil

As I'm having to give up beekeeping (bad allergic reaction to a sting), ...

Bad reactions can be prevented.

You can get highly effective desensitisation therapy (a ramped course of injections) for free on the NHS.

Search the forum for the word "desensitisation". You will find some personal experiences documented.

A bad reaction is no reason to sell up --- that is, if you otherwise enjoy beekeeping!

Bad reactions can be prevented.

You can get highly effective desensitisation therapy (a ramped course of injections) for free on the NHS.

Search the forum for the word "desensitisation". You will find some personal experiences documented.

A bad reaction is no reason to sell up --- that is, if you otherwise enjoy beekeeping!

Good post.

:iagree:
Good post.

I have been going through the process now for 9months and I cant recommend it highly enough. a sting now is the size of a mozzi bite, when it used to be the whole of my arm upto my shoulder would swell from one sting on the finger.

Im amazed how its worked. do the course don't give up beekeeping.

My bees gave me that course for free, and they top it up every year, and it cost the NHS nothing. Don’t worry about getting stung; every one is less of a problem than the last , though I do swell more at the start of the year than at the end (where I hardly swell at all now).
Lots of swelling is not a problem, is what I was told in days gone by, it’s only a problem if you blackout and your heart stops functioning…….

My bees gave me that course for free, and they top it up every year, and it cost the NHS nothing. Don’t worry about getting stung; every one is less of a problem than the last , ...

You would be seriously mistaken to think that was the way it always works.

This is a serious point ... whilst a lot of beekeepers suffer little or no reaction to stings for many years, indeed sometimes seeing less reaction as they get more stings, there are very many documented instances of one day the situation changing and life threatening reactions result.

There is little room for complacency in regard to bee stings and just because there has never been a reaction in the past does not mean you won't get one in the future.

Yep I agree. Mine started out as small reactions and then got worse, until one day I got 14 stings and had to spend 8hrs in A&E attached to lots of machines and drips while they stabilised me and got me breathing unaided.

Yes that is the way it always works, your antibody reaction (the swelling) does reduce as you get more and more stings, I don’t know anyone for whom this is not the case.

Your allergic reaction is a different matter should you become allergic then you will go into anaphylactic shock, this could happen at any time and we should all know the symptoms the most extreme being as I said above, but if you really wanted to explain what will happen then here goes;
Symptoms of anaphylaxis include:
• a red, raised, itchy skin rash (hives)
• swelling of certain body parts, particularly the face (angioedema)
• swelling in your throat and narrowing of your airways, which can cause breathing difficulties and wheezing
• nausea
• vomiting
• a sudden drop in blood pressure, which can make you feel faint and dizzy
• feeling like something terrible is going to happen
Obviously the skin rash is always likely to occur in a bee sting, to a greater or lesser extent, so look out for this with at least one of the others.

(In my case every time I go near my bees I feel something terrible is going to happen so I have to ignore that one as well!!)

Yes that is the way it always works, your antibody reaction (the swelling) does reduce as you get more and more stings, I don’t know anyone for whom this is not the case.

Sorry Roger, but that is NOT a universal truth.
And I regard it as dangerous to preach that it is.

I have no idea how many (or how few) people you are generalising from, but you only have to read the forum for a while to discover that SOME people do suffer INCREASING reactions.

Try Dpearce4's post - immediately above yours. "Mine started out as small reactions and then got worse"
Or this July thread http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19284
Was just finishing with hive number two today when I got stung on the chin through my veil...thought 'ouch' but didn't think any more about it until about fifteen minutes later I felt as if my whole body was on fire, itchy, eyelids swelling, ears thrumming. Dashed home and got some prescribed steroids down ...
I usually swell up a fair bit if I get stung on the head (much to my children's amusement) hence the steroids but I've never had a reaction like this before.

• nausea
• vomiting
• a sudden drop in blood pressure, which can make you feel faint and dizzy
• feeling like something terrible is going to happen

Sounds like a normal morning preparing to go to the 'office'

read the words please they are completely true

We've all read them, they are not true and I don't know why you think they are. It may work that way for some people but certainly doesn't for others- for example the people who have posted above, and my father who when he started keeping bees had only slight reactions, which got worse and worse as he went on until the affected limb would balloon for a week- NOT an anaphalactic shock, but a more severe reaction.

you didn't read them then did you? .... did your father have an antibody reaction? errr... no.... it was something else

try reading this;

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/stings.htm

Then try not to panic all the new beekeepers into giving up, a sting is stressful enough the first few times, without making the new guys all think it may be fatal (the above link has enough warnings about that for you to hopefully understand my point).

my father who when he started keeping bees had only slight reactions, which got worse and worse as he went on until the affected limb would balloon for a week- NOT an anaphalactic shock, but a more severe reaction.

you didn't read them then did you? .... did your father have an antibody reaction? errr... no.... it was something else

try reading this;

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/stings.htm

Then try not to panic all the new beekeepers into giving up, a sting is stressful enough the first few times, without making the new guys all think it may be fatal (the above link has enough warnings about that for you to hopefully understand my point).

By your definition of an antibody reaction, that was exactly what he had.

I've read the paper in the link, which ends with 3 paras of disclaimer including:

This information is personal opinion based on 30 years of experience with bees and believed to be true, however each person and each situation is different. Use at your own risk.

Readers are cautioned that the author is not a medical authority.

I'm not trying to panic anybody into giving up, but spouting bollocks helps no-one, if people have the correct facts they can make up their own minds based on them.

That's rather rude.

Try to maintain some perspective, to help you think about this; last year there was the tragic death of five people due to insect bite/sting (not all as a result of honey bees) in the same time frame and equally tragically there were ninety-nine deaths by falling from beds.

Are you going to sleep on the floor from now on?

And further are you going to denigrate other people for saying it’s generally safe to sleep in beds as the risks are nearly twenty times that for which you criticise my comments?

Your apparent general endorsement of melissophobia is very worrying to me when writing on a site that is here to promote beekeeping.

Sorry the above is a little puerile in its simplicity.....

That's rather rude.

Try to maintain some perspective, to help you think about this; last year there was the tragic death of five people due to insect bite/sting (not all as a result of honey bees) in the same time frame and equally tragically there were ninety-nine deaths by falling from beds.

Are you going to sleep on the floor from now on?

And further are you going to denigrate other people for saying it’s generally safe to sleep in beds as the risks are nearly twenty times that for which you criticise my comments?

Your apparent general endorsement of melissophobia is very worrying to me when writing on a site that is here to promote beekeeping.

Sorry the above is a little puerile in its simplicity.....

I realise the above was rude, but your refusal to look at this logically is extremely frustrating.

I'm not saying keeping bees is particularly dangerous, or that people shouldn't do it, I'm merely stating that people can have a broad range of reactions to stings which can vary unpredictably over time. This is common knowledge, and your certainty that everyone will react exactly the same as you is baffling.

Back