Boxing glove hand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
took a few stings yesterday on the hand whilst inspecting a hive, only really noticed 1 which i scraped out with the hive tool.
thought no more about it and went on with the inspection.
Started to itch and a little swelling in the evening, but during the night i would have chopped my hand off to stop the itching!
This morning my hand looked more like a boxing glove and throughout today the swelling has moved half way from my wrist to my elbow.
Just taken a piriton and will see what effect that has.
was going to check another 2 hives today but decided to wait for this to go down. :mad:

I react the same with multiple stings on hands. Cover them with all sorts of cream: relieves itching. Does nothing for swelling.. nor does Piriton nor any antihistamine taken before or after.

Gin gets rid of the pain but has to be applied liberally with ice and tonic- internally, anytime not driving..

Two years of bees and no immunity yet..

was going to check another 2 hives today but decided to wait for this to go down. :mad:

And have another fat arm? To stop myseld being stung, I tape the overlap between my gloves and the beesuit with gaffa tape and always wear two layers all over. No probs.

my hands seem to react well with stings as well, but since last year I have used Apis tablets - may be a load of hocus pocus, but i definately dont react as much as I did

Mrb

I always have a few tubes of "Boots" own brand Witch hazel Gel. It really does work in reducing inflamation.......(in your case for next time!)

Also, I've currently got one colony of nasty bees - half a dozen would always try and burrow under my sleeve cuffs which is just straightforward distracting! I now use 6" lengths of 'Tubiflex' elastic bandage to seal the join.

Mrb

I always have a few tubes of "Boots" own brand Witch hazel Gel. It really does work in reducing inflamation.......(in your case for next time!)

Also, I've currently got one colony of nasty bees - half a dozen would always try and burrow under my sleeve cuffs which is just straightforward distracting! I now use 6" lengths of 'Tubiflex' elastic bandage to seal the join.

Thanks, not had trouble with the join, these stings were through the rubber of the Ma*semore rubber gloves with gauntlets, up till now nothing has got through them.
Must get a bottle of the witch hazel though!

hi same happened to me with my foot -had multi stings in the ankle -my foot got worse over 48 hours -put foot in cpld water but that made it worse -i went to hospital and they said it was a secondary infection -they said to keep an eye on it traveling up my leg -if it did i had to go back to hospital -they put me on antibiotics -it took a week to go down -bluesman

hi same happened to me with my foot -had multi stings in the ankle -my foot got worse over 48 hours -put foot in cpld water but that made it worse -i went to hospital and they said it was a secondary infection -they said to keep an eye on it traveling up my leg -if it did i had to go back to hospital -they put me on antibiotics -it took a week to go down -bluesman

Hmm, i guess if this reaches my leg i am in trouble ;)

(although still quite red up to my elbow)

MrB

Are you still alive?

You had all the symptoms of 'Gas Gangrene' the notorious WW1 trench warfare killer!

"hi same happened to me with my foot -had multi stings in the ankle -my foot got worse over 48 hours -put foot in cpld water but that made it worse -i went to hospital and they said it was a secondary infection -they said to keep an eye on it traveling up my leg -if it did i had to go back to hospital -they put me on antibiotics -it took a week to go down -bluesman"

i would suggest with a fairly high degree of certainty that there was no secondary infection.

A&E bod unlikely to familiar with the full range of appearances of bee stings.

evolution of swelling over 48-72 hrs is normal. as is the week to go down in severe cases.

the antibiotics will have done no harm (apart from to your gut flora) but were probably unnecessary - just playing safe on their part.

well said drstiton, I work in minor injuries and get fed up of people wanting/getting abx for 'secondary infections' when in fact it is the primary histamine response,

"hi same happened to me with my foot -had multi stings in the ankle -my foot got worse over 48 hours -put foot in cpld water but that made it worse -i went to hospital and they said it was a secondary infection -they said to keep an eye on it traveling up my leg -if it did i had to go back to hospital -they put me on antibiotics -it took a week to go down -bluesman"

i would suggest with a fairly high degree of certainty that there was no secondary infection.

A&E bod unlikely to familiar with the full range of appearances of bee stings.

evolution of swelling over 48-72 hrs is normal. as is the week to go down in severe cases.

the antibiotics will have done no harm (apart from to your gut flora) but were probably unnecessary - just playing safe on their part.
Happened to me years ago after a a couple of stings in an ankle !
Foot swelled and later a bonny crop of water blisters !
A&E bloke called out " What's the treatment for bee stings, vinegar or baking soda ? "
I said neither will do much good:) .
He popped the blisters and sent me on my way clutching anti histamine tablets !
I put the reaction down to the stinging taking place though my socks :) Was it the dye in the socks or the size of the fungi / bacteria colonies :eek:

VM

A lot of these bad reactions are down to secondary infections caused by bacteria on the skin,when the bees stings you it pushes whatever's on your skin into body.

"A lot of these bad reactions are down to secondary infections caused by bacteria on the skin,when the bees stings you it pushes whatever's on your skin into body."

NO.

secondary infections rare with stings. common with horsefly bites. think about it - we all cut ourselves regularly but rarely get infected wounds. a bee sting is a tiny puncture.

in a particular individual bad reaction just down to how much venom gets in and where.

by definition multiple stings on foot will be a big dose. single sting on finger scraped off immediately it is felt will be small dose.

Last edited:
Trod on a rusty nail once... spent Christmas in Derriford Hosp on a drip of hot antibiotics

...... THAT WAS a PUNCTURE WOUND !!!

The day I see a bee with a 20 mm stinger is the day I give up keeping bees !

Trod on a red hot metal furniture fixing (clearing up after a Guy Fawkes night bonfire ). It went straight through my shoe and into my foot, it's surprising how quickly you can tear off a shoe even though pinned to the foot :).
The rather large hole ,healed with no problems :) Minimal treatment only (Germoline)
Farmers wife (in my youth) ,plastered the almost severed nostril of her daughter with the stuff , held it back in place with a thin strip of elasto-plast.
It repaired itself no problem ! Daughter was about 8 years old.
Only evidence was a very thin red line where a slight misalignment had occurred :)
VM

Trod on a red hot metal furniture fixing

Probably cauterised your foot as it penetrated..... bet you jumped!

Latest posts

Back