Bottom tray out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hitchiner

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Can I take the bottom tray completely out so that the Varroa mites fall straight through? The metal mesh can allow many to crawl back into the hive.

I think you would be allowing easy access to robbers, mice and anything else that is kept out by the mesh.

I think you would be allowing easy access to robbers, mice and anything else that is kept out by the mesh.

you are only supposed to leave the tray in for checking mite drop or if you are treating with apiguard-close top ventilation and leave the tray out.

Can I take the bottom tray completely out so that the Varroa mites fall straight through? The metal mesh can allow many to crawl back into the hive.

Which 'tray' are you talking about? The varroa insert? Most people leave that out except when testing for varroa.

If you're talking about the actual metal mesh, as Canary Honey said, robbers will have easy access. Apart from that - unlike the varroa tray, the metal mesh is usually fixed to the floor (open mesh floor) so to remove that you'll have to unscrew it.

Last edited:

PS - to what I and others have already said: Maybe some mites can crawl back, but the mesh also allows quite a lot to fall through the mesh and therefore unable to crawl back.

Tray out, as Protheroe says, unless monitoring drop or treating.
I have been leaving mine out but was wondering about come the winter. Do you put the tray in over winter? Also, given varroa mesh is a relatively new innovation, what was at the bottom hives before then? (Just thinking of the comments about mice getting in etc.)

I have been leaving mine out but was wondering about come the winter. Do you put the tray in over winter? Also, given varroa mesh is a relatively new innovation, what was at the bottom hives before then? (Just thinking of the comments about mice getting in etc.)

Solid wooden floor, at least until the rot sets in.

Tim.

I always run ALL hives with floors under OMF in winter... (it gets cold and very windy here in winter)

Open floor, insulation on top seems to be the way many are going now. It's what I do, I know it doesn't get as cold here as some parts of the country, but I have a pretty good winter survival rate.

Old way was solid wooden floor, matchsticks under crown board to allow ventilation at the top. (can of worms opening here).

Paul, mellifera has asked the question.......what is the answer please! I am confused too! My mesh is not a part of any tray
E

Latest posts

Back