Booker's Sugar ended??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyGoat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had the following sent to me by the secretary of my local association:

"If you were thinking of going to Bookers to take advantage of the bargain sugar for beekeepers - DON'T. A member was told there that "due to international shortages" they were no longer doing the offer for beekeepers."

Is anyone aware of a change in policy from Booker?

Not in my local branch of bookers yet,they have put the price down from £13.99..to £13.69 per 25kg... must be the world shortage.

Bookers never charged differently for beekeepers, but they let you join if you showed them a valid beekeeping association card

they let you join if you showed them a valid beekeeping association card

They also let you join without one,you just needed to tell them you keep bees.

It looks like Bookers are in the lead over the co-op in the save the bee league..

They also let you join without one,you just needed to tell them you keep bees.

It looks like Bookers are in the lead over the co-op in the save the bee league..

bookercard001.jpg

Full membership granted to yours truly , I also receive e mail updates of latest offers :hurray:

John Wilkinson

I've just bought from Tesco at 67p per kilo. Not as cheap buying in bulk but not bad either. (Blimey - did I just promote a supermarket?????)

Bookers never charged differently for beekeepers, but they let you join if you showed them a valid beekeeping association card

They gave me a big discount on sugar when I told them it was for my Bees.
You need to ask the manager when you enter the store

Our local bookers lets us do our shopping in there as well as sugar. We have bought loads of stuff in bulk.

Hi there, do bookers charge VAT for the sugar ? it works out about 56p per kg, add the VAT and it is about 67p the same as a few German shops.

I have had the following sent to me by the secretary of my local association:

"If you were thinking of going to Bookers to take advantage of the bargain sugar for beekeepers - DON'T. A member was told there that "due to international shortages" they were no longer doing the offer for beekeepers."

Billy Goat, I thank you for your heads up.

I'm looking for a bit of validation here - Can you advise me pleasethe following:
Name of the Booker Branch involved,
Name of your local association and the secretary
.​
The member is also unidentified, so we are working on a lot of indirection at the moment, all be that the message is being passed in good faith.

I have just telephoned Booker and presented the details, as known thus, far for the attention of the original person involved with the arrangement.

I expect to get a call later this afternoon and will clarify the situation here as soon as possible.

At the moment, this is merely unsubstantiated rumour, without sufficient attribution to track back the details and verify facts. Please wait for a definitive statement of facts.

Rumour scotched - any misunderstanding to be rectified

BillyGoat, you have a PM.

I have spoken at 4pm today with Melanie Balmer, Head of Booker's Public Relations Department, who originally agreed this arrangement. She remains fully committed to it and assures me that there has been absolutely no change in policy whatsoever.

BOOKER REMAINS OPEN FOR BEEKEEPERS - AS ALWAYS​

I made the original arrangement with Melanie Balmer at Booker, on behalf of C*nwy BKA. Good to hear that the arrangement is proving popular.
Peter McFadden,
Secretary, C*nwy BKA, North Wales.

Hello Peter,

Nice to realise that you are on the forum. I like to think that I keep your legacy running true and straighten out those that think that the arrangement was made by a different organisation.

Melanie is obviously still very enthusiastic, but occasionally forum member on the ground and new staff at Branch receptions are either unaware or get wires crossed in some minor way.

If I get the details of the branch and the name of the member from BillyGoat or his Association(?) Secretary, then I will let Melany know and she will ensure that he is given every assistance. A refresher to all branches will also be sent out to keep staff aware.

Thanks once again. I received a £20 voucher recently because I hadn't been in recently. I spent my pocket money on plywood the week before. It made all the difference to the effective price of my 60kg of sugar I bought just last week.

:hurray:

Thanks for the PM Hombre.
I have now had an update from my local association as follows:

"
Dear all
One of you kindly raised the Booker sugar problem experienced by a member, with Bookers themselves.
I had a very speedy reply and detailed email which I have copied below, from the local Booker General Manager at Broadstairs. He was upset!
It seems I was given misleading information and I have apologised to him for the error.
This is what he sent me on Sunday:

""
I was forwarded the attached e-mail by one of your members and feel a little hard done by. All members of the British Beekeepers association are welcome at Booker wholesale on presentation of their beekeepers association card. It is true that we are currently restricting purchases to a maximum of five cases per customer but this would be five cases of a wholesale pack ie 1x25kg or 15x1kg. Our current price for a 25kg sack of granulated sugar is £13.69 which works out at 55p/kg or £10.49 for a 15x1kg case which works out at 69p/kg. When I checked the Sainsbury's web site this morning their current price is £1.09 for a 1kg bag of sugar so as you can see on purchasing a 25kg sack of sugar from Booker your members would save .54p/kg,we are charging half what Sainsbury's are currently charging.
If you require any further information don't hesitate to give me a call. ""

He even contacted the Canterbury branch to check they knew the rules."

So it seems all is well with Bookers after all!

Please note that the arrangement was made on behalf of Beekeepers, specifically those that are members of Associations, but not exclusively. Time and time again the phrase "members of the BBKA" are cited - this is an inaccuracy, Peterbees on this forum as Secretary(?) of Con.wy beekeepers was responsible for the negotiation in August 2009.

Lets get the facts right or correct them when they are not.

Glad to know that it's sorted fine.
BillyGoat PM incoming.

Latest posts

Back