Book for new beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi,come April I should have my first colony of bees.I've brought several books and joined my local bee keepers association. I believe a new bee book has been published which indicates on a monthly basis what is going on in the hive and what I should be doing.Does this sound a good investment(I think it's about £16)
Thanks.

i am a great favourite of get the book via the library first, if its not on the shelf ask for an inter library loan card and they can try to order it through.

because i am a tight wad i would never spend more han £10 on a book unless i have at least seen it first as some are not much use where as some are great finds of information

Such a book is liable to give you false confidence. Bees (probably wisely) dinna read books.

TBH your best buy would be Hooper: A guide to bees and honey. Try amazon.

PH

Thanks Poly Hive,already have that book.

Why not sit down then and have a think as to what is liable to happen when, are you prepared for that, and what you are going to do.

PH

Alan Campion's "Bees at the Bottom of the Garden" is a good first year read.

Ben P

I'll vouch for Hooper as well. Undoubtedly more depth than you need for year 1, but I still use it as a reference after 12 years while other books gather dust.

My top 3 would be in no particular order,

Guide to Bees and Honey - Hooper
Bees at the Bottom of the Garden - Campion
Practical Beekeeping - De Bruyn

Hi,come April I should have my first colony of bees.I've brought several books and joined my local bee keepers association. I believe a new bee book has been published which indicates on a monthly basis what is going on in the hive and what I should be doing.Does this sound a good investment(I think it's about £16)
Thanks.

Starting out with bees by john williams Regards Andrew

A Practical Manual of Beekeeping - David Cramp

Style more open and not as high brow/pompus as Hoopers. Hopper still the best book to my mind and has much detail that Cramp does not, but come back to it year 2. Hooper assumes a level of practical knowledge in his writings. Cramp gives you that 'basic' knowledge on a plate.

Hooper is very good but the first chapter contains a fair bit of bee biology.
V. useful to know but not exactly a way of easing someone into beekeeping.

Clive de Bruyn's book is very good IMO.

One not often mentioned but which I find explains things well for a beginner is Sixty Years with Bees by Donald Sims.

As far as I know none of the available books are completely up-to-date with varroa treatments.

A Practical Manual of Beekeeping - David Cramp

Style more open and not as high brow/pompus as Hoopers. Hopper still the best book to my mind and has much detail that Cramp does not, but come back to it year 2. Hooper assumes a level of practical knowledge in his writings. Cramp gives you that 'basic' knowledge on a plate.

:iagree:

Here is one that is never mentioned.

Principles of Practical Beekeeping by Robert Couston

Well worth a read.

PH

Thanks for all your help,will look at all your suggestions.

I would say Hooper is the best book that I have read, will dig out David Cramp's book.
I would say that Hooper is a serious book,not pompus or high brow and is well worth reading and has stood the test of time.

sixty years with bees

Where's the best (cheapest) source of "sixty years with bees"???

R2

"Keeping Healthy Honey Bees" by David Aston & Sally Bucknall, published in 2010 by Northern Bee Books, ISBN No. 978-1-904846-54-3 RRP £16.99.
This is a book used by Bee Inspectors and is a very readable text book.
I think that A....zon may have it or any reputable bookseller would get it for you

I thought Sixty Years With Bees was a good read, full of interesting arguments in favour of the author's favourite beekeeping techniques (some of which I've taken on board and others I have ignored). I don't think it really fits the mould of a beginner's textbook, though.

I would say that Hooper is a serious book,not pompus or high brow and is well worth reading and has stood the test of time.
:iagree:
Hooper is very dense text and there's a lot in there. Pompous isn't the word but the formal style has dated as have the photos. Cramp is readable, practical and written a couple of years ago. Both have their favourite methods, Cramp thinks clipping queens is pointless cruelty for instance. Hooper has been revised recently (varroa additions) but the rest of the text is largely as it was 50 years ago. Cramp gives a more international perspective based on his time in Spain and New Zealand but that does mean there are fewer UK specific examples.

Latest posts

Back