Book for new beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I am just about to start a beekeeping course and am reading a book called
Keeping Bees , a practical guide by Paul Peacock. I find it very easy to follow as a newcomer. Have also got Clive De Bruyn book which is good too.

I can tell you a couple of books _not_ to buy and that's the Collins Beekeeper's Bible and Beekeeping For Dummies.

The beekeeper's bible really isn't; half of it is recipes. It has a Victorian styled cover which is matched by the Victorian styled content.

As for Beekeeping for dummies it's written by an American author. So again there are a number of Americanisms therein. It's not as bad as the "bible" but not that useful. Better books have been recommended to you here.

To get you really thinking I'd recommend "The Barefoot Beekeeper" by Phil Chandler. I think every beekeeper should read it even if they're fixed on going down the national route.

Bobster

I'm surprised no-one-s mentioned 'Beekeeping- a seasonal guide' by Ron Brown. I would say very nearly as informative as Hooper, but more accessible, and takes you through the year as the original post asked.

Again, not bang up-to-date on disease, but the best source for that is the FERA booklets, free from beebase.

Latest posts

Back