Boiled linseed oil/beeswax mixture

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
I was going to use a 10% beeswax/90% boiled linseed oil mixture to protect a new hive. Once made up by adding the wax to warmed linseed oil, do I have to use it straight away or can I rewarm and use at my leisure?

I was going to use a 10% beeswax/90% boiled linseed oil mixture to protect a new hive. Once made up by adding the wax to warmed linseed oil, do I have to use it straight away or can I rewarm and use at my leisure?

boiled linseed, by the fact that it's boiled, is less likely to oxidise than raw linseed, so you could store it for future use

at 10% you will get some thickening / gelling of the mixture once it has cooled, though it may still be usable, it will absorb into the wood better when warmer / thinner.

one thing you must bear in mind with RLO or BLO (raw / boiled linseed oil) is that rags used to wipe spillages up with must be disposed of carefully as they can heat to the point that they spontaneously combust

Grandad used to add a drop of real turpentine to it.... not quite sure why?

Turpentine is expensive now, but I have seen it in good ironmongers and in art supply shops!

Grandad used to add a drop of real turpentine to it.... not quite sure why?

Turpentine is expensive now, but I have seen it in good ironmongers and in art supply shops!

turpentine is one of the best solvents for beeswax, it would have been added to "thin" the mix, which aids penetration

I use this mixture on my hives and make up a litre at a time. It can be reheated as many times as you like. I brush it on when hot - outside only obviously:)

Hi MJBee you said:

I use this mixture on my hives and make up a litre at a time. It can be reheated as many times as you like. I brush it on when hot - outside only obviously

Brush it on when hot - outside only? Do you mean:

1) When hot "weatherwise" outside the house to hive what ever temperature of mixture
2) When mixture hot to outside of hive whatever the temperature inside or outside the house

Sorry if a bit confused.

I was going to paint it on outside on the outside of the hive with a hot mixture despite it being a bit chilly - is that OK?

You've got it - Hot mixture applied to the outside of the hive. :hurray:

Latest posts

Back