Linseed Oil for treating Hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely thinking of a "clock" rather than a "watch"
all his marine chronometers were called 'watches' even though the first ones were almost the size of a chest of drawers. I think the name watch came from the watches navigating officers stood through the day and night and later came to be the name given to the timepiece. and I'm pretty certain that the wooden stable clock is still in operation today.

all his marine chronometers were called 'watches' even though the first ones were almost the size of a chest of drawers. I think the name watch came from the watches navigating officers stood through the day and night and later came to be the name given to the timepiece. and I'm pretty certain that the wooden stable clock is still in operation today.

Ah, I was unaware of this. I seem to recall that there is a "watch" of his at the Royal Observatory that looks like an 8" diameter pocket watch. I'd definitely have called that one a clock :)

James

I seem to recall that there is a "watch" of his at the Royal Observatory that looks like an 8" diameter pocket watch. I'd definitely have called that one a clock
I think they have his first ones there as well (bleddy big things) we commissioned HMCC Vigilant in 2003 at St Catherine's Dock and as a 'treat' on the way back downriver our commander arranged for us to have a weekend alongside at Grenwich and a day out at the observatory and remember seeing the watches/clocks and an unimpressed junior deckie just grumbling woopee, bloody big clocks bloody big deal! before going back to ogling some French Canadian tourist that were there.

I think they have his first ones there as well (bleddy big things) we commissioned HMCC Vigilant in 2003 at St Catherine's Dock and as a 'treat' on the way back downriver our commander arranged for us to have a weekend alongside at Grenwich and a day out at the observatory and remember seeing the watches/clocks and an unimpressed junior deckie just grumbling woopee, bloody big clocks bloody big deal! before going back to ogling some French Canadian tourist that were there.

No sense of history and the marvels of human achievement, some people.

James

Correct. Upon reflection I didn't really answer the original question.

@BernardBlack - yes linseed oil is good enough / perfectly suitable for treating cedar hives and stands. It's a pretty impressive wood if you care to read up about it. It's resistant to rot and decay and also offers a natural resistance to bugs trying to bore into it or whatever. It apparently has a certain smell to it which insects don't like & naturally contains a chemical called Thujone (Red Cedar doesn't) which causes nerve damage to any insects foolhardy enough to try and mess around with it. I expected it to be a hardwood, whereas in fact it's a softwood.... albeit it a very strong one. Life expectancy - 20'ish years.

If you don't treat it, it will naturally weather over time and turn a silvery / grey'ish colour. How long will this take? It's all to do with the amount of sunshine it's exposed to, however, it could be as little as 6 to 12 months in a sunny location. Treatment will extent it’s life, however, at 20 years do you really care? For me, treating with with linseed oil is about aesthetics and personal choice. For example I also paint some of my hives and accept that from time to time I’ll have to do it again – or maybe change for a different colour. However, I like them like that and having only a handful of hives means I can. As @blackcloud said: “A nice card and a box of chocolates every now and then never goes amiss?“
I paint my hives with white masonry paint. Some are cedar and some are pine. Although cedar does not rot, it can get rather porous and in winter the wood can be sodden. I’m also glad that in this current heat wave, the white paint reflects the heat better than unpainted hives.

Because I don't know if it does breathe.
My mistake...I thought you were in passive aggressive question mode 😚....sorry! And again, I've learnt something here as I wrongly assumed that paint does not breathe, however:

"... virtually every paint can breathe and that the major differences are in the rate of breathing. This rate alters with polymer type and with type and level of pigments. A flat PVA will be one of the most water permeable paints available whilst a gloss chlorinated rubber the least."
Source

My mistake...I thought you were in passive aggressive question mode 😚....sorry! And again, I've learnt something here as I wrongly assumed that paint does not breathe, however:

"... virtually every paint can breathe and that the major differences are in the rate of breathing. This rate alters with polymer type and with type and level of pigments. A flat PVA will be one of the most water permeable paints available whilst a gloss chlorinated rubber the least."
Source
Yes but why do you want the paint on a hive to breath?

I wrongly assumed that paint does not breathe
You were right all along, standard masonry paint doesn't breathe, as I found after an early morning google.

The paint companies will tell you it is, but the bottom line is that anything made with plastic is not breathable
heritage-survey.org

Seems there are two types of masonry paint - plastic or mineral- based - and plastic is the one to avoid.
northernpaintsandcoatings.co.uk/faqs

Latest posts

Back