Blue Pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scilla sibirica has blue pollen.

(Sorry, too slow again!)

Last edited:
On checking my new pollen book (did i tell you i'd bought 'A colour guide to the pollen loads of the honey bee' at the convention this year? :D) Gilia capitata (Queen Anne's thimble) seems the closest match - Siberian squill being more of a greenish hue. Although i must say it's a bit early

Big blue spikey looking flowers in a ball shape give bright blue pollen but not sure what they are. Will try and find out
E

is that right?

I've got a patch of Scilla which is in flower but in the shade - so haven't seen bees on it.

Flower stems 4" like mini bluebells

is that right?

I've got a patch of Scilla which is in flower but in the shade - so haven't seen bees on it.

Flower stems 4" like mini bluebells

Hi Richard,
Me too. Scilla is a big family as I have just found out and my bees are keen on the ones I have got in the patio. However, they have pale yellow pollen. Scilla italica?

Hi Will,
Thanks for your question and all the clever beeks on the forum. One of my hives were bringing in blue pollen yday which I have never seen before real time. Nice to know which flowers it came from.

Hi Will,
Thanks for your question and all the clever beeks on the forum. One of my hives were bringing in blue pollen yday which I have never seen before real time. Nice to know which flowers it came from.
It is really bright blue, I must admit I have not seen this blue pollen before I,ve had pale blue but this is just like M&M blue, No M&M factory round here lots of gardens and a theme park 1/2 mile away may have to go and have a ride on something to see if its there

It is really bright blue, I must admit I have not seen this blue pollen before I,ve had pale blue but this is just like M&M blue, No M&M factory round here lots of gardens and a theme park 1/2 mile away may have to go and have a ride on something to see if its there

Ahh Do they do blue candy floss?
They might have spilt a bag of blue sugar

Latest posts

Back