Blossom or heather?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Right from the start of my beekeeping, I was told there are two classes or lots of kinds of honey in the UK.

Heathere and blossom. Anything not from the moors is blossom and the rest is heather.

Would LOL anyone disagree? Is this actually official or just beekeeping lore?

Further what % of pollen is legally required to be able to call say lime honey, lime honey on the label?

PH

Last edited:
There are definitely loads of different types of honey more than just as you say blossom, Heather I don't think they can just be defined as just those two types.
To me spring Honey is blossom
Summer honey wildflower
Late summer Heather if you are taking colonys to Heather.
Then we could also talk about all the honeys in between like lime for example.
To know what honey types they are which In my opinion you can separate them and define them as such they need to be tested, BUT if a beekeeper is extracting honey and knows tastes colour smell and what forage is being worked at the time then there has to be some sort of lore as you call it.

blossom is anything that comes from a flower, you get plants blossoming throughout the year so I suppose technically that includes heather. my grandfather lived more or less on the 'moor' and my uncle Peter kept his bees just a dry stone wall's width from the heather. they both extracted their blossom honey at the end of July/beginning of August (as did my grandfather's uncles/cousins in the neighbouring smallholdings), just before the heather started. The heather was left on for the bees' winter feed.

Are we talking legal definitions for labelling or in terms of composition?

If for labelling, read:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348/made
If just in terms of composition, I'd say there are many different types and mixes but you're bound by Part 4, 17(3) of the above legislation.

Well yes Wilco but it's not very helpful is it??

(2) In these Regulations—

“baker’s honey” means honey that is suitable for industrial use or as an ingredient in another foodstuff which is then processed;

“blossom honey” and “nectar honey” mean honeys obtained from the nectar of plants;

“chunk honey” and “cut comb in honey” mean honeys which contain one or more pieces of comb honey;

“comb honey” means honey stored by bees in the cells of freshly built broodless combs or thin comb foundation sheets made solely of beeswax and sold in sealed whole combs or sections of such combs;

“drained honey” means honey obtained by draining de-capped broodless combs;

“extracted honey” means honey obtained by centrifuging de-capped broodless combs;

“filtered honey” means honey obtained by removing foreign inorganic or organic matters in such a way as to result in the significant removal of pollen;

“honeydew honey” means honey obtained mainly from excretions of plant sucking insects (Hemiptera) on the living part of plants or secretions of living parts of plants;

“pressed honey” means honey obtained by pressing broodless combs with or without the application of moderate heat not exceeding 45° Celsius.

Going by this Heather is blossom. Try negotiating your price on that basis....

PH

(2) In these Regulations—

“baker’s honey” means honey that is suitable for industrial use or as an ingredient in another foodstuff which is then processed;

“blossom honey” and “nectar honey” mean honeys obtained from the nectar of plants;

“chunk honey” and “cut comb in honey” mean honeys which contain one or more pieces of comb honey;

“comb honey” means honey stored by bees in the cells of freshly built broodless combs or thin comb foundation sheets made solely of beeswax and sold in sealed whole combs or sections of such combs;

“drained honey” means honey obtained by draining de-capped broodless combs;

“extracted honey” means honey obtained by centrifuging de-capped broodless combs;

“filtered honey” means honey obtained by removing foreign inorganic or organic matters in such a way as to result in the significant removal of pollen;

“honeydew honey” means honey obtained mainly from excretions of plant sucking insects (Hemiptera) on the living part of plants or secretions of living parts of plants;

“pressed honey” means honey obtained by pressing broodless combs with or without the application of moderate heat not exceeding 45° Celsius.

PH
Reread my last paragraph. There is a specfic part of the legislation where it talks about making additional labelling claims such as one would if calling something heather, or any other type of, honey:

''The product name of a relevant honey may be supplemented by information relating to its floral or vegetable origin but no person may trade in a relevant honey for which such supplemental information is provided unless the product comes wholly or mainly from the indicated source and possesses the organoleptic, physico-chemical and microscopic characteristics of the source.''

Part 2 7.1 shows 'blossom honey' can be sold as just 'honey'.

So you can sell heather honey, which is technically 'blossom honey' , as 'heather honey'.

PH

There is a bit more to it than that. I would aregue that if there are "two types of honey" permitted in regulation, it would be blossom honey (which "must" be labelled as honey, blossom honey or nectar honey) and honeydew honey (which "must" be labelled as honeydew honey) - thus the two are completely separated by the labelling regulation.

I suspect that the main reason that Heather honey is typically singled out within the honey/blossom honey/nectar honey category is that it alone has a different specified threshold for water content (being higher at 23%) than the other honeys in that category. Since water content is about the only "constituent property" readily available for small scale producers to measure, and since it is well understood that getting water content too high significantly increases the risk of fermentation within the expected shelf-life of the product, it is not surprising that it gets special treatment.

However Heather honey is not unique for specifying as a floral source (that's all that it is). The additional labelling requirements section, while it doesn't directly answer your initial question, is probably far more what you were looking for in that permits ("may") but does not mandate adding information "relating to its floral or vegetable origin", with the proviso that you can only do so if "the product comes wholly or mainly from the indicated source and possesses the organoleptic, physico-chemical and microscopic characteristics of the source". So you can call it "borrage honey" but only if it is "wholly or mainly" from borrage. In fact, the compositional criteria section ends up listing a very wide range of monofloral sources based on the varying sugar compositions that might be expected.

false acacia (Robinia pseudoacacia) honey, alfalfa (Medicago sativa) honey, Menzies Banksia (Banksia menziesii) honey, French honeysuckle (Hedysarum) honey, red gum (Eucalyptus camadulensis) honey, leatherwood (Eucryphia lucida, Eucryphia milliganii) honey, Citrus spp. honey, lavender (Lavandula spp.) honey, borage (Borago officinalis) honey, bell heather (Erica) honey, chestnut honey, eucalyptus honey, lime (Tilia spp.) honey, ling heather (Calluna vulgaris) honey, manuka or jelly bush (Leptospermum) honey, strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo) honey and tea tree (Melaleuca spp.) honey
(apologies if there are repetitions I've missed as that's a concatenation of several lists)

So to get to the core of the question, what are the requirements for "wholly or mainly". And that's where regulation largely ceases to answer the question.

For the specific categories noted above, there is at least one compositional requirement (such as fructose or glucose percentage in the sugars, or electrical conductivity) which you could arguably measure given suitable equipment. But that does not demonstrate that it is from such a source.

Beyond that, there are various "guidelines" around. The primary source for pollen analysis requirements appears to be Methods of Melissopalynology by J. Louveaux, A. Maurizio, G. Vorwohl whose techniques appear to be widely adopted for "unifloral" honeys - broadly speaking >45% of pollen from a "normally represented" plant is enough to be "predominantly" that floral source, can be as low as 20% for significantly under-represented pollens, and in the case of over-represented pollens could be as high as 90%. There are also considerations as to "what the rest is" (e.g. if you're at 45% but the other 55% are under-represented pollens, it probably isn't "predominantly" that plant - indeed it is possible for one honey sample to be "predominantly" more than one different source if common sense and care are not applied.

I would suggest that there is reasonable expectation of the keeper - if bees were taken to a specific single source (e.g. heather) where were no other sources of forage available to them, it is credible to claim that a correctly appearing (i.e. thixotropic) honey is heather honey. Conversely, if you happened to see a lime tree in bloom near a hive, and heard some bees on it, that might not be sufficiently compelling to say that a particular frame, box or tank of honey thence extracted is lime honey.

The fact that there is no clear delineation between the extremes for what should or should not be considered monofloral is not that helpful. If it's going to make a significant commercial difference it might be worth taking the time for the pollen frequency analysis in those cases, but it probably also depends on the scale, the market, and to some extent the expected likelihood of challenge...

For the record, Louveaux et al consider Tilia to be under represented, with an estimate of 20-30% pollen frequency (with the caveats above about what the rest is) expected in a predominantly Lime honey.

Paragraph 12 of Schedule 1 of the above specifies the properties different types of honey need to have, with reference to heather.

The 'wholly or mainly' always struck me as an opportunity for processors/retailers to dilute pure more expensive honey types with cheap honey, as long as the expensive one is slightly more than 50% of the mix they can still sell it as that type and increase profit margins. Might go some way to explaining the abundance of 'manuka' honey...

Paragraph 12 of Schedule 1 of the above specifies the properties different types of honey need to have, with reference to heather.

The 'wholly or mainly' always struck me as an opportunity for processors/retailers to dilute pure more expensive honey types with cheap honey, as long as the expensive one is slightly more than 50% of the mix they can still sell it as that type and increase profit margins. Might go some way to explaining the abundance of 'manuka' honey...
It is. They probably do.

Latest posts

Back