Bits in Thymol syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Made some thymol syrup to hivemakers recipe last night reduced down for a 4 pint feeder. They been taken normal down very well so check it today and they haven't taken as much as normal and there seems to be bits in it which I didn't notice when I gave it (starting to crystalize?) maybe 1 and a half pints gone.

Should I leave it, take it out and replace, or can I just add 2:1 to it and mix it up?

Chucked it anyway in the end and added standard 2:1 that had dissolve fully. from getting home from work and daylight fading I think I rushed the mix as there was some sugar at the bottom and flake like bits in it. Will make a proper batch up tomorrow and let it sit for a bit :)

Made some thymol syrup to hivemakers recipe last night reduced down for a 4 pint feeder. They been taken normal down very well so check it today and they haven't taken as much as normal and there seems to be bits in it which I didn't notice when I gave it (starting to crystalize?) maybe 1 and a half pints gone.

Should I leave it, take it out and replace, or can I just add 2:1 to it and mix it up?

Not sure what you mean by reduced down for a 4 pint feeder? I stick to the recipe and add to 2:1syrup as instructed. The bees take it and store as required. When they stop taking it down I stop refilling the feeder.

Not sure what you mean by reduced down for a 4 pint feeder? I stick to the recipe and add to 2:1syrup as instructed. The bees take it and store as required. When they stop taking it down I stop refilling the feeder.

recipe is for a gallon but only did half a gallon so halved the amount I put in (2.5ml)

Will they keep taking it down till they have enough or will the temperature stop them in the end if so what range?

recipe is for a gallon but only did half a gallon so halved the amount I put in (2.5ml)

It'll keep forever - just seal it up in a jamjar - It might solidify a bit over time but ten minutes with the jar sat in a bowl of hot/boiling water (lid off) and it's good to go again.

It'll keep forever - just seal it up in a jamjar - It might solidify a bit over time but ten minutes with the jar sat in a bowl of hot/boiling water (lid off) and it's good to go again.

Ideal cheers

Is this the recipe you used? It's from an old post via the search facility

Emulsified thymol pre mix.

30g thymol crystals placed in honey jar,add 5ml of isopropyl alcohol to the crystals,place jar into a water bath of boiling water to speed up the dissolving process.
In another jar pour in 140 ml of boiling water and add 1 teaspoon of lecithin granules, stir well,and place this jar into a water bath of boiling water,stirring often for abot ten minutes or so until most of the lecithin granules have dissolved,you can then strain this mixture through a teastrainer or similar to remove any granules that have not dissolved fully,then simply add the dissolved thymol to this mix,and shake well,will look just like a jar of milk.
To use add 5ml to each gallon of syrup and stir well,syrup will go milky,unlike when using the old original mix.
If the mixture forms any crystals at a later date,tip into old small pan and reheat,do this outdoors.
There are also other feed supplements availible such as vita feed,and nosevit ect,i have never tried these so cannot make any comment on them,but i will sure be sticking to what i know works well.

Ps in the past i have on occasion added two teaspoons of the old original mix 10ml per gallon with no ill effects on the bee's at all,but 5ml is plenty.

Will they keep taking it down till they have enough or will the temperature stop them in the end if so what range?

My bees have stopped taking syrup now. In this neck of the woods October is usually when syrup feeding stops.

I've stopped....The hives smell of ivy yards away

Could even smell it down by the back door last night. Bees still hoovering down the syrup at home but have slowed right down at carreg - loads of ivy up there and the bees are piling it in.

Do they get much nectar off ivy or just pollen? Mine are bringing back loads of pollen but the hive weights are actually going down very slightly.

The double brood dropped 0.2kg - the single 0.9kg over the past week.

They stopped taking syrup for a while but have now started taking it down again.

Normally lots of nectar if it's warm. Hives losing weight will be brooding.
Have a sniff at the back.

What am I sniffing for? There's a powerful scent but I'm not sure what it is.

Why does brooding lower the weight?

Edit - Ah, I think I've suited the brooding weight thing. They consume more honey as the brood, more eaten than collected, do the weight drops. Once the flow stops they should put the weight back in. I think?

Still don't know about the scent thing.

Last edited:
Have a sniff at some ivy in bloom. Is it the same as the aroma from your hives?
Rearing brood used energy; honey and pollen, and weighs less than capped honey

Latest posts

Back