Bits in Thymol syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try that. I never noticed a scent off ivy before, but then I never noticed it flowered until the bees arrived.

There's none in our garden so I'll have to explore.

I stopped feeding one hive two weeks ago as they stopped taking syrup down.

I weighed them again this week- lost 5kg.. brooding I assume. So replaced feeder and they are now taking syrup again...

Going to have to check all again very carefully.

Ivy needs to be long established, around 10 years before it flowers. Find a large clump in the sun and take a sniff. Very pungent. Most apiaries will be ponging of it by now.

Yes, it's quite an interesting plant. Each plant has two distinct stages, the lower climbing bit and the upper (arboreal) part. It's not until the ivy runs out of something to climb that it forms the arboreal stage and flowers.
Often the two stages of the plant have different leaves.

- A bit like holly only having prickles on its lower leaves.

Ivy needs to be long established, around 10 years before it flowers. Find a large clump in the sun and take a sniff. Very pungent. Most apiaries will be ponging of it by now.

I did wonder as I walked around how bits seem to be at different stages so close together

Usually one year initial (trefoil leaf) followed by the mature (single leaf) stage here. The flowers develop on the mature stage.

As farmer Tom posted, the leaf shape changes but only on the arboreal part, this can be seen on any tree where the Ivy has climbed into the canopy.

As farmer Tom posted, the leaf shape changes but only on the arboreal part, this can be seen on any tree where the Ivy has climbed into the canopy.

To stop bunnies and deer eating the leaves .

And ponies, which is why they fell holly trees on the New Forest when it's really cold, to give the ponies something else to eat.

But if holly leaves are too prickly for livestock, how come the ponies eat gorse?

Latest posts

Back