Beware of Computer Virus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you try any flavour of Linux and don't like it, then I'm reliably informed that you are entitled to ask for your money back! :)

Hombre, since Linux is free, I see no point in asking for a refund ;)

no, ive not had a chance to scan with admin's link, every time i do scan it gets to app.5 10 % and then cuts out .

housecall blows hot and cold. Does not work on many systems... (I thought it only runs over port 80\8080, but does not work most of the time when a firwall is in the way..)

Download and run spybot first. It should cripple most, and then hit it with a good antivirus.
Alternatively find a local freindly techie to help blow it away... some of these can very tempermental to get rid of.

housecall blows hot and cold. Does not work on many systems... (I thought it only runs over port 80\8080, but does not work most of the time when a firwall is in the way..)

QUOTE]

A firwall is like a firewall but more hairy :p

Hombre, since Linux is free, I see no point in asking for a refund ;)
--------------------------
If we learn from our mistakes, I'm receiving a good education!

Love the signature Fenbee, I see you are catching on very fast. :) Does Windows offer the same value model?
Windows 7 is hailed as the latest and greatest, as were all it's predecessors, but is in reality Vista with a further three years work.

Anyone remember when XP was called codenamed Longhorn and the super new filesystem that was promised and subsequently dropped well before the release date was established, along with a fist-full of other features. Still not surfaced, has it?

Not all Linux distros are free. Redhat is commercial. Centos is a Redhat clone with all the Redhat branding removed. It has the blessing of Redhat too. They are happy that Centos users are using Redhat in all but the price. As small businesses become larger, there is a feeling that more formal commercial support is required. The logical place for that is Redhat, for those users that can well afford it.

Not all Linux distros are free. Redhat is commercial.

Pleased you think my signature is appropriate Hombre :rolleyes:

You are of course right. But, I forgot that Redhat chose to make their Enterprise version of Linux a fee paying model around 2001. Do they really offer a refund? You can of course pay for support with other distributions too, like Ubuntu. I prefer to maintain Linux myself, which is one of the reasons for using this type of OS is the first place :)

Hi Fenbee,
I obviously speak to the converted, so yes, your signature is good to go. :) Like all of us you have had the opportunity of the Windows experience and made up your own mind.

I have to concede you the point regarding RedHat and refunds, but if you weren't really sure, you would have opted for Centos and definitely been entitled!
I see in fact that Fedorra 11 is getting 'mixed' reviews at the moment (RedHat free distribution). They appear to have pulled in a few works in progress all at the same time.

I do hope that you have had a good season with the bees. I have, but my own bees have chosen to produce bees this year and given me a lesson, well two actually in having spare kit to hand ready. :cheers2:

I do hope that you have had a good season with the bees. I have, but my own bees have chosen to produce bees this year and given me a lesson, well two actually in having spare kit to hand ready. :cheers2:

Hi Hombre, yes I have had a good season with the bees, but a steep learning curve as well. As you may know I am using two Rose hives and I shall give my report on using them later in another thread. But, the good news is the bees are fine, have plenty of stores and I was able to take 26lb of honey :)

One of the good features of the Ubuntu distributions is all ports are closed as default, i.e. no process (daemon) is listening on external ports. This gives time for the user to setup a firewall if they wish to do so.

I have Ubantu JJ as a dual boot on the lappie.

Julie bought a very good new Nikon camera and lo the software is Windows only no Linux support.

Hmm thinks I reading an article that says digital cameras are well supported in Linux lets plug it in and see.

It worked perfectly. No bother at all.

PH

"The Gimp" will give photoshop a run for it's money- I'm enjoying "digikam"
http://www.digikam.org/ - it's not on the usual add/remove list in Ubuntu, so I amazed myself by trying a bit of hard-core linuxing - opened a terminal, and shovelled something like " sudo apt-get install digikam" in and it did just that! (might have been "gksudo" instead of "sudo" - one or t'other)

I read an article the other day that asked why we bother to support those priner and other manufacturers that don´t even consider supporting Linux.
After all, Microsoft changes their OS and makes them jump through hoops on a regular basis, you would think that more than a few of them would have wized up a while ago.

The numbe of devices using embedded Linux out there at the moment is apparently astounding. The manufacturer is able to tweak the OS to suit his need without recourse to the whims of MS or their finance department.

I´m glad the camera worked out fine PH, it makes all the difference.
They used to say, "No one ever got sacked for specifying IBM equipment". Flavour of the month syndrome. MS Vista´s biggest competitor was . . . MS XP, what does that tell us about the company, it´s interest in our interests and it´s interest in exploiting the depth of our pockets?

Good on the command line Brosville, give it a Bash as they say. . . AWK!

In time everything will be history and we will wonder why it was as it was.

since there is by the sounds of it more than a few computer informed people here heres a question for you lot

i have just had to wipe my computer and reload every thing due to a virus or some such thing , dont care its gone now and every thing is on back up but i had to get someone to do it for me, so i want to know what to do when when or if something does go wrong with the computer next time heres some information to help

dual core running vista
yes i have a disk with vista on it and at the moment i am running free copy of avast! as the internet security, so what do i need to do to increase its security and more importantly how do i save/reboot/restart the computer for next time is there disks to be made , i was asked several times for disk etc , but the computer was preloaded and as such i have none

Latest posts

Back