Floriade's bee pavilion is recommended

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelletap

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 - and a promising bait hive
Once we arrived at Floriade 2012 in the netherlands I headed straight for the bee pavilion dragging OH with me. We were issued with our scanners; he took the nectar scanner and I had the pollen. We went under the hive entrance and through teh garden area scanning as we went - the list of bee friendly plants looked really well organised and I was told there was a download but I've not yet been able to locate it! Then you enter, effectively, the darkened hive where the sounds and sights of a hive add to the effects. You can also see the inside of one hive and look down above the hive entrance you passed under as you entered the garden area. There is a small display area - artifacts of beekeeping and hive products and then as you exit you hand over your scanner, get told your individual total of either pollen or nectar and can see an indication of the pollen and nectar collected so far.

Alongside this, some of the bees in the hives are chipped. Their movements can be seen online so there is quite a lot of data being generated overtime - I've been trying to collect it using a web query from Excel. I might just be more mad than anyone else or perhaps there are some other nerds who might be interested. The data is here http://www.nspyre.nl/rfibee - the Timetable tab gives the last 5 movements of bees in or out and the Weather tab shows the bee activity compared with temperature and humidity. I think the link ought to be allowed as it is an educational / research project rather than anyone trying to sell something. I've also put some photos on my blog (search for apiarylandlord and wordpress and possibly Floriade). I am wondering whether I can replicate some of the 'be a bee' activity using either low tech things such as post it notes - or perhaps using QR codes - as an educational task for children. I guess using real scanners would make it expensive.

Hope someone finds this interesting - if anyone wants the spreadsheet I have created so far today do let me know - there are gaps but it might prove interesting. Netherlands time is an hour ahead of us at the moment.

We are due to go over next month, is there anything else you can recommend or tips/pointers.

Looking forward to it now.

Back