Best way to clean frames, apideas etc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theworker

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This question has probably been answered loads of times before but what is the best way to clean old frames of wax, propolis etc. Plus clean up apideas and various plastic bits and pieces.

Is it still using washing soda? Does this have to be hot or will cold do? And how long would I need to soak them in the soda solution before the wax would start to dissolve?

theworker

Hey I made myself a boiler up and boil them all with some soda washing crystals,works a treat and brings them up like new.
Darren

What have you made a boiler from as this is my 2nd year now and have heard people making boilers and have wondered how easy or hard it would be to make one myself

A good quality heavy duty metal dustbin may fit the bill.... make sure it is not one of the rolled and soldered thin ones... stick a gas ring under it, keeping the lid on holds the heat in.
Also handy if you have a load of chickens to pluck !

I don't think *boiling* the plastic Apidea frames is going to be very successful.

I actually suspect that Cillit Bang (based on Finman's advice for polyhive cleaning) might be enough. (it is Killit Bang in Finland - an easy target for the forum search!)
There was also the advice to soak in 3% caustic soda at about 40C.

I don't think *boiling* the plastic Apidea frames is going to be very successful.

I actually suspect that Cillit Bang (based on Finman's advice for polyhive cleaning) might be enough. (it is Killit Bang in Finland - an easy target for the forum search!)
There was also the advice to soak in 3% caustic soda at about 40C.

I have never cleaned frames with Cillit.

Soak kaustic soda? Heat melts the the wax and soda turn it soap. Soda too sterilize all microbes.

I do not know what idea is in 40C temp. It does not loosen wax.

Threw about 50 in a boiler once and as soon as they had left my hand i knew i had done something bad. A few seconds later and a melted mass welcomed me.:banghead:

I have never cleaned frames with Cillit.
True, but -
--- you have advised it for polyhive cleaning and
--- I was specifically referring to cleaning *plastic* Apidea frames - I would not want Cillit soaking into wooden frames.

Soak kaustic soda? Heat melts the the wax and soda turn it soap. Soda too sterilize all microbes.

I do not know what idea is in 40C temp. It does not loosen wax.

40C won't melt or distort plastic frames.
But it will increase the rate of chemical reaction (soap-making, thus dissolving) by at least 4x as compared to 20C.
Working with "hand-hot" solution avoids the splash risks of boiling -- but as always with caustic soda, still use serious protection equipment.

40C won't melt or distort plastic frames.
But it will increase the rate of chemical reaction (soap-making, thus dissolving) by at least 4x as compared to 20C.
Working with "hand-hot" solution avoids the splash risks of boiling -- but as always with caustic soda, still use serious protection equipment.

Have you done this or are you just thinking.

I have no plastic frames. I cannot say.

Cillit is only spray with which it is simple to sterilize one walls whic are even.
It is expencive in larger job.

Here guys say that problem in handling plastic foundations is the cleaning to reuse. Some frames do not stand boiling water.

But it is better to keep apart wooden frames and plastic frames that everything is not in same soup.

Talking Apidea micro mating nucs. /so very small plastic frames
Cillit is what I am going to try.
If that is too slow/ineffective, then I'll try warm soda.
The Apidea frame material seems very like solid polystyrene (like toy aircraft kits) and 40 C shouldn't harm that at all. After all, its barely above the bees wax-making temperature ...

// Absolutely standard chemistry rule-of-thumb: "an increase of 10C will double or triple the rate of a chemical reaction". While an increase of 80C (ambient to boiling) will speed things up massively, an increase of 20C would still give a worthwhile time-saving.

Last edited:
And how long would I need to soak them in the soda solution before the wax would start to dissolve?

theworker

When you do all the job, the soaking is the smallest job in whole process.

You make 10 frame punches and let the heat melt wax away. To make a punch takes as much time as soaking.

Then you dilute boiled frames with garden hoast or with pressure washer.

If you have too much soap on frames, you should add lye and take the soap foam from boiler surface.

You get 200 clean frames in couple of hours.

Advantage is that frames are nailed and if you do not cut wires, you have wired frames too.

-

What have you made a boiler from as this is my 2nd year now and have heard people making boilers and have wondered how easy or hard it would be to make one myself

Question in 2 parts ( Should be set for GCSE!)
what do you clean / boil in?

answer 1 What chemical mix?
answer 2 what type of container?

:judge:

// Absolutely standard chemistry rule-of-thumb: "an increase of 10C will double or triple the rate of a chemical reaction". While an increase of 80C (ambient to boiling) will speed things up massively, an increase of 20C would still give a worthwhile time-saving.

But in this case wax melting point is a key 65-70C. When wax melts, lye helps that it do not make a wax layer on the thing when yout lift it from water.

Threw about 50 in a boiler once and as soon as they had left my hand i knew i had done something bad. A few seconds later and a melted mass welcomed me.:banghead:

Did something the same, except a put a couple in a solar wax extracter as a text.I wont be putting antmore in it

What about if I put frames etc in with a steamer of some sort. Would this clean up frames etc?. Don't really want to mess around with boiling soda's? Small kids around.

On another note. How do everyone clean up there cell bar equipment? Cells plus cups.

Big tank NOT ALLY
big gas burner
lots of warm water
washing soda
long thick rubber gloves
eye protection
hive tool/ sturdy knife
cut out wax from frames
heat up till near boiling
depending on tank size you can get through alot off frames when u start to get too much scum on the top leave with gass on for few mins scoup off add more soda

if u have only got a few frames to do dont be so tight just burn them....

never tryed steam power washing....

I can't think of anything worse than the amount of feathers from plucking chickens! I think I would pay for them to be plucked.

The original orange frames are not boil safe, the blue ones apparently are (or so the info on the 'bee equipped' site once said!)

Never needed to try it. I just cut the comb out, dismantle and leave them in a solution of washing soda or caustic soda for a few months.

if you boil the apidea frames they will definitely become distorted. Cut the wax out and rewax with a small strip of foundation.

Latest posts

Back