Best time of the year to have tractor bang a post in next to your hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beehive1234

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Match box
The fence dividing my apiary/garden from the farmers land is starting to fail. Two cows got in my apiary/garden last year and the farmer says he needs to replace the corner post, (which is almost on the ground/stream bed). The post is close by a hive and the farmer says he can only access it via my apiary because it is across a stream.
What time of year do you think would be best to do this as there will be a lot of noise and banging? The tractor will be right next to one of my hives.
I do want the post replaced because I don't want any more of his cattle getting in my apiary/garden, the thought of one of them knocking over a hive sends shivers up my spine.
I was thinking February would be a good time. I could block the entrance and hope for the best.
What would you do if it was your apiary?

offer to do it myself..if possible..

what difference would that make, in the woods?

if it's only one post you can dig hole your self.no need for tractor ,less people about ,less disturbance..

Depending on what size post/hole required I'd go for DIY and now rather than spring/sumer/autumn

We have tractors occasionally right in front of the hives and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. Fairly low frequency vibration. Strimmer and higher frequency = ratty bees. I would block the entrance and let them get on with it (with supervision!)

To Inthewoods & Dadnlad

The post is the farmers responsibility. He has livestock to be fenced in and he is responsible for.
My question was quite clear, from a beekeepers point of view, what would be best for the bees.

Last edited:
their is nothing wrong in offering to do it yourself .for your own peace of mind .or just let him get on with it ,get it out the way before season.

Sorry, but you digress, the question wasn't who would replace the post!

That isn't the issue.

WHEN WOULD BE GOOD FOR THE BEES?

In the summer when there are bees galore? I think the answer would be pretty obvious.
Other posters were simply trying to help, with suggestions that may apease any worries.

i would say soon as possible to suit you and him,he no's what he's doing .just
make sure you are their .block them in for half hour if it worry's you .

I think we have got our answer, thanks guys:paparazzi:

if it was me, I would block the entrance up and let the farmer bang in the posts while the ground is still soft and the bees not flying, rather than leaving for summer or any other time when the ground dries out, at least there will be less fuss.

You could block the entrance & move the hive away for an hour or so untill its done, best time is probably now while the bees arent really flying. It doesnt take long for a farmer to knock posts in with a machine.

Do it now, soon as you like. Shut them in before starting, wait an hour to open up after finished. Sorted.
Good luck

The fence dividing my apiary/garden from the farmers land is starting to fail. Two cows got in my apiary/garden last year and the farmer says he needs to replace the corner post, (which is almost on the ground/stream bed). The post is close by a hive and the farmer says he can only access it via my apiary because it is across a stream.
What time of year do you think would be best to do this as there will be a lot of noise and banging? The tractor will be right next to one of my hives.
I do want the post replaced because I don't want any more of his cattle getting in my apiary/garden, the thought of one of them knocking over a hive sends shivers up my spine.
I was thinking February would be a good time. I could block the entrance and hope for the best.
What would you do if it was your apiary?

Most farmers simply use a tractor with a hydraulic arm bucket full of something heavy, hold the post upright, raise the bucket over the post, lower the bucket onto the post and smoothly press the post in. Those with a jcb dont bother to fill the bucket as the hydraulics can press as well as lift. Banging nil, vibration almost nil. Bees probably stay indoors in their cluster unless nature calls. :cool:

I often run my tractor near my hives it doesn't seem to bother the bees. I would think a post Knocker may well send them out to investigate ,so best to shut them up for a couple of hours until the job is completed. Any time now would be the best time.

Latest posts

Back