Best National Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second grades are exactly that. They have various defects including shakes, knots (usually around the areas of the mortise/tenons which split apart when nailed) and are usually poorly dried leading to warping once they get wet
I must disagree, I only buy second quality now, have yet to have one that I couldn't use without having to fix anything on it, many are over ten years old and, apart from looking a bit weathered (which happens to all hives regardless of 'quality') they all look good to last many more years

I took a punt on a Thorne cedar national off ebay for £109. omf brood 2x supers roof qx and crown board entrance block & 8 steel runners. Machining and the quality of timber was spot on. Dead straight, no warping. Really impressed. Maybe i was just lucky though.

Rather than going for the 'cheapest/budget' option my advice is to buy the best that you can afford. Having gone down the road before regarding using seconds or pine (rather than cedar) I would definitely buy on this policy. Second grades are exactly that. They have various defects including shakes, knots (usually around the areas of the mortise/tenons which split apart when nailed) and are usually poorly dried leading to warping once they get wet. Buy the good stuff that will last you a lifetime.
Over the years I’ve had more than my fair share of seconds, they may well contain knots but with a little extra care in construction I’ve only ever had 1 side bar that was unusable. I will admit that I’ve got the tools and clamps. Assembled some yesterday and 1 knot did indeed crack out from the joint, I removed it pre drilled covered it in expanding glue and fixed, it’ll probably see me out. You can pretty much get 3x the kit in seconds compared to firsts that’s a huge difference, so fine if you buying 1 hive but start expanding and quite literally hundreds or thousands of pounds. As for them being poorly dried, that’s really how you want them in knotty wood much the same as second frames. If they dry that’s when they twist/dish, frames get brittle in the knots. Far better glued and screwed they will not move. As for pine never touch it the couple of £ between that and seconds isn’t worth it. Ply can be good for boxes like Nucs, but ensure it’s a decent quality/supplier I don’t mean b&q, also prep/seal edges. I’ve 40 plus home made ply Nucs well over 12 years old out in all weather and still good. As for protection I stain all mine putting wood outside without some form of protection is just not right😆In particular seconds some contain sap wood(rarely) it can be seen in the various shades this is nothing but a sponge and can if left cause issues. Final point it’ll make NOT a jot difference to the bees what box they are in provided it’s sound, your savings are better spent on upgrading other kit to make your life easier. Ian

I use pine boxes, although mine are all commercials. Get them in packs of five from bee equipment now. Have been using pine for years and don't find any issues with it although I'm a big chap so the extra weight is less of an issue.

That hive looks like seconds boxes to me, quite possibly purchased from other suppliers and just sold on. Just compare the maismores sale list posted by jenks for the true price. Ian

Possible although they state on their website that they make a lot of their stock and it's made from British WRC. Not aware of many other companies offering UK sourced WRC hives. Also the stands look quite different to any I've seen elsewhere.

Exmoor Bees
Source and cut their own timber
Denis Little has some amazing kit to cut and season whole Exmoor grown Western Red Cedar trees into planks for beehives.

If you are not looking for the cheapest Chinese upcycled Junk, but for bespoke English responsibly sourced WRC and produced to the highest cabinet makers standard... then pay a visit to Exmoor Bees.. tell them I sent you!
Chons da

I should have been clearer; offering WRC hives sourced from UK grown WRC (e.g. Thorne use Canadian WRC not UK grown). Apologies.
you're wrong - both Thornes and Maisemore may use Canadian cedar for their 'first quality' ridiculously expensive hives. but all their 'second quality' kit is made with UK sourced WRC, as do Exmoor bees, Hyde hives and quite a few others

After having a serious look at a lot of the hives we have now in stock from T I can only conclude the term "seconds", applies to the type of timber used, imported knot free WRC being first and UK grown being second quality. the only difference I see in a lot of the timber is the presence of knots.
Obviously there are pieces with a defect that doesn't impact on its use.

you're wrong - both Thornes and Maisemore may use Canadian cedar for their 'first quality' ridiculously expensive hives. but all their 'second quality' kit is made with UK sourced WRC, as do Exmoor bees, Hyde hives and quite a few others

Thanks for the clarification. Didn't realise their seconds quality was sourced differently- good to know.

I’ve not bought any hive boxes for well over ten years now, but generally bought Thorne’s seconds. Disagree a teeny but with JBM, in that the occasional part had a dry knot or a little warping that needed attention. But nothing that could not be fixed - or exchanged, if not considered good enough as a ‘second’. I screwed all my hive boxes, so I have a pile of nails somewhere.

Frames, in particular, were always a bit of a lottery when buying seconds. Could be as good as ‘firsts’ but usually needed some selection or fettling. Still good value, all the same. I never bought many 14 x 12 boxes, as they were less of a saving (or in short supply). A home made eke, screwed to the bottom of the box, easily converted deeps to extra deeps without too much weight penalty.

Rather than going for the 'cheapest/budget' option my advice is to buy the best that you can afford. Having gone down the road before regarding using seconds or pine (rather than cedar) I would definitely buy on this policy. Second grades are exactly that. They have various defects including shakes, knots (usually around the areas of the mortise/tenons which split apart when nailed) and are usually poorly dried leading to warping once they get wet. Buy the good stuff that will last you a lifetime.

I buy all my hives from National Bee Supplies. More expensive than some but the quality is consistently excellent. I've chatted to them at the trade shows and they say they leave their western red cedar to season for at least a year before machining it, unlike some. Though of course the Mandy Rice-Davis principle applies! I think they source much of it from Canada.

I buy all my hives from National Bee Supplies. More expensive than some but the quality is consistently excellent. I've chatted to them at the trade shows and they say they leave their western red cedar to season for at least a year before machining it, unlike some. Though of course the Mandy Rice-Davis principle applies! I think they source much of it from Canada.

Ah, bless her. Is she still with us? The whole Keeler-Profumo scandal was far more entertaining than the current Royals imbroglio...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back