Best National Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

What’s best budget cedar national hive to buy? Have looked at Caddons and Simon the Beekeeper and they look to be good quality.
Thanks

Hi

I got mine from Simon, and was impressed with them - good quality in my opinion but then I am new to this !!

Best budget would be Maisemores seconds KD in their sale .. and glue and screw them up yourself

If you want the best... well there is a chap up on Exmoor who used to have time to post on the forum... who possibly makes the best WRC National hives that money can buy!

Exmoor Bees

Chons da

I definitely like the quality of Caddon's , but most of my kit is Maisemore seconds in the sale. The only downside of course is that you have to wait until sale time or plan ahead!
I use STBK for most other bits and pieces, because their prices are usually good. If you're just starting out and don't have a lot of hives to buy for, or just need one or two odd items they make it more affordable when some of the other big suppliers charge a hefty amount for the postage that isn't really worth it unless you've buying a lot. However, I only have a couple of supers from them, so can't comment on the quality of their other hive components like floors, roofs etc.

Best budget would be Maisemores seconds KD in their sale .. and glue and screw them up yourself
Chons da
And they will have their first 'virtual convention' one day sale on the 13th of March this year. the sale list will be published the week before

fb.jpg

I can vouch for Caddon. I have had 7 hives from them over the last few years, and the quality of both the timber and the machining are absolutely first rate. Like, really good.

I am under no illusions about the fact that the reason they are so cost effective is that they are shipped from the far east, where they have doubtless been CNC machined. Caddon state that the Western Red Cedar used is from sources certified as sustainable. You take your own view as to the provenance, I guess.

I normally vigorously support British manufacturers when it comes to my beekeeping, but in my own personal opinion (having had experience of both first and second quality boxes from both Thornes and Maisemore - and not wanting to cause any s***tstorm by saying this) they are not nearly as good - and certainly not in terms of value (IMHO).

We'll all have faves, but mine is Caddon - as you'll gather.

Just buy seconds from any of the main suppliers jkbm listed 1 am sure others will do the same. It will make no difference what so ever to the bees. Ian

Caddon every day for hives. Better quality and cheaper than seconds from elsewhere. Use the others for different things but hives from Caddon.

Caddon every day for hives. Better quality and cheaper than seconds from elsewhere. Use the others for different things but hives from Caddon.
...Caddon brood boxes are still £35, seconds are about £18

If you want the best... well there is a chap up on Exmoor who used to have time to post on the forum... who possibly makes the best WRC National hives that money can buy!

Exmoor Bees

Chons da
:iagree:
Two of mine are from Exmoor and the quality is excellent.
Good service from a nice family too.

Good to hear.

But are they really quoting prices ex VAT on their website? That's fairly dubious practice
Not at all dubious, it's common practice for vat registered companies, especially those that sell to the trade.

Try Old Castle Farm for beehives ,bit more expensive but better quality than thornes budget,and it is western red cedar

Not at all dubious, it's common practice for vat registered companies, especially those that sell to the trade.

Hmmm. Show me another major supplier that advertises ex VAT prices on their website. They all sell to the trade.

But their statement "All prices subject to 20% VAT." might actually mean "includes VAT" I guess - just confusingly worded if so. Their poly hive prices include VAT, which would seem an odd difference. So they may well be innocent as charged and just need to update their wording.

Last edited:
Rather than going for the 'cheapest/budget' option my advice is to buy the best that you can afford. Having gone down the road before regarding using seconds or pine (rather than cedar) I would definitely buy on this policy. Second grades are exactly that. They have various defects including shakes, knots (usually around the areas of the mortise/tenons which split apart when nailed) and are usually poorly dried leading to warping once they get wet. Buy the good stuff that will last you a lifetime.

Rather than going for the 'cheapest/budget' option my advice is to buy the best that you can afford. Having gone down the road before regarding using seconds or pine (rather than cedar) I would definitely buy on this policy. Second grades are exactly that. They have various defects including shakes, knots (usually around the areas of the mortise/tenons which split apart when nailed) and are usually poorly dried leading to warping once they get wet. Buy the good stuff that will last you a lifetime.
I'd agree on that. My brood boxes (and floors & roofs) are all good quality firsts, because in my mind they're out all year long through the winter and the bees are relying on them. However, my supers are under cover during the winter, and only out in the elements on the hives during the better spring/summer months, so I don't mind seconds for them.
I always get cedar too - for me the pine is nowhere near cheap enough to even consider, in comparison to cedar, for the number of years use I'm likely to get out of them.

Latest posts

Back