Best books for beginners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzing44

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi can anyone recommend any good books on bee keeping, seems to be a minefield of books out there.

Bees at the bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion is a good pre-bees read. Easily read, not perfect but gives you a flavour of what it's all about. It's not a reference book of any note - just easy reading.

The Haynes Manual of Beekeeping will lead you through the first couple of years on a painting by numbers basis.

If you want a more technical book, much harder read, a lot of words and few pictures the goto beekeeping book for the shelf is Ted Hooper - Guide to bees and honey.

Bees at the bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion is a good pre-bees read. Easily read, not perfect but gives you a flavour of what it's all about. It's not a reference book of any note - just easy reading.

The Haynes Manual of Beekeeping will lead you through the first couple of years on a painting by numbers basis.

If you want a more technical book, much harder read, a lot of words and few pictures the goto beekeeping book for the shelf is Ted Hooper - Guide to bees and honey.
Brilliant! and thank you Pargyle

Brilliant! and thank you Pargyle
Of course ...once you get into the hobby there are lots of beekeeping books to fill the months and dark evenings between November and April .. (the daylight hours will be spent making and maintaining bee kit and worrying about your bees) - everything from Bee physiology, to queen rearing, microscophy, bee farming and hundreds of older books that have little relevance in modern beekeeping but provide an insight into beekeeping methods of the past ... It can be a compulsive hobby.

Of course ...once you get into the hobby there are lots of beekeeping books to fill the months and dark evenings between November and April .. (the daylight hours will be spent making and maintaining bee kit and worrying about your bees) - everything from Bee physiology, to queen rearing, microscophy, bee farming and hundreds of older books that have little relevance in modern beekeeping but provide an insight into beekeeping methods of the past ... It can be a compulsive hobby.

Such a fountain of knowledge much appreciated thank you, I have a question about hives poly or wood? But I do like the poly as added temperature control for the colony.

Nationals hives seems to be the choice for many, I do like Langstroth and especially the poly hives from Modern bee keeping. I know most people probably avoid Langstroth due to the availability of frames and foundation and boxes that's currently available here in the UK. Also most bee suppliers are set up for national nucs. I know there's ways around this or would you say stick to national as easier to obtain frames, foundation ect.

Last edited:
Such a fountain of knowledge much appreciated thank you, I have a few Q&A's..
Nationals hives seems to be the choice for many, I do like Langstroth and especially the poly hives from Modern bee keeping. I know most people probably avoid Langstroth due to the availability of frames and foundation and boxes that's currently available here in the UK. Also most bee suppliers are set up for national nucs. I know there's ways around this. Just my personal preference.
Oh dear ... that's a question nobody can answer for you ... it's all down to personal preference and what you find suits you. You really need to try before you buy - what hives are in use locally - whether you like timber or the more modern Polystyrene hives, can you manage the frames in Langstroth or 14 x 12 or do you want the smaller boxes of standard nationals and the prospect of double brood or brood and a half ...

The only real advice anyone can give you is decide what you like in the way of hive formats and stick with it because there is nothimg more annoying than mis-matched kit.

Perhaps I'll get a better prospective at my local bee association when I start to attend meetings, I hope I'll get to work using some of there different hives, think that be best. Thank you for the book recommendations 😊

Perhaps I'll get a better prospective at my local bee association when I start to attend meetings, I hope I'll get to work using some of there different hives, think that be best. Thank you for the book recommendations 😊
Yes .. find out who uses what and see if they will let you accompany them to an inspection ... best way.

Most beekeepers in the England have National hives. I have Langstroths and have no regrets. No issues with sourcing hives or parts - just not as many suppliers. They are a good size for a larger colony and mid way between standard nationals and 14X12's. Good luck and hope you enjoy beekeeping.

Hi can anyone recommend any good books on bee keeping, seems to be a minefield of books out there.

Haynes Bee Manual, it’s a perfect base for a newbie. No confusing information or instruction and will prepare and get you through the first couple of seasons without overloading you with information.

Attachments

• 1C52D02B-5B9C-413D-AB86-45D06211D2FD.jpeg
    1C52D02B-5B9C-413D-AB86-45D06211D2FD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Haynes Bee Manual, it’s a perfect base for a newbie. No confusing information or instruction and will prepare and get you through the first couple of seasons without overloading you with information.
Thanks BBC for the recommendation.

Join your preferred local BKA asap and if they have their own apiary, as the best ones usually do, jump in when they do inspections (usually weekly) and watch what goes on and get to chat with those around you there and find out what they recommend. Somebody there may also be willing to set you up by selling you a hive or two and maybe sharing the management of an apiary until you think you can manage on your own. Personally I prefer national kit but be sure to stick to one type for quite a while until you are certain where you want to be. Personally I don't indulge in much book reading of any sort (mind always elsewhere these days due to wife with alzheimers and much prefer to be hands on and learn) but Ted Hoopers book as recommended above is always to hand. Best of luck and enjoy the most rewarding hobby I have ever had that can actually pay for itself over time if you sell your honey and don't count your labour.

Thank you Arfermo, Sorry to hear about your wife. I'm always grateful for any recommendations or knowledge and learning is key in any hobbie.

Much appreciated.

Most beekeepers in the England have National hives. I have Langstroths and have no regrets. No issues with sourcing hives or parts - just not as many suppliers. They are a good size for a larger colony and mid way between standard nationals and 14X12's. Good luck and hope you enjoy beekeeping.
Hi Holmbee, I don't have any experience in hives and that's something I'm looking forward to learning about. I just like the Langstroth type maybe because I feel the bees have more room and seems to be used worldwide.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reactions: jim
Hi Holmbee, I don't have any experience in hives and that's something I'm looking forward to learning about. I just like the Langstroth type maybe because I feel the bees have more room and seems to be used worldwide.

Thanks for your feedback.
Only potential issue is compatability with other types of hive - ie if most of the people at the BKA have Nationals and you desperately need a frame of eggs as you've gone queenless. I went with Nationals as our BKA apiary is mostly these.

Only potential issue is compatability with other types of hive - ie if most of the people at the BKA have Nationals and you desperately need a frame of eggs
I've never got that 'frame of eggs' argument.
How often does that need crop up?
Very rarely I suppose, and even then it requires the donor to be conveniently local to you. I think it may just be another apocryphal fable written in the BBKA book of myth and magic.
but even if you 'desperately need' some eggs, simple - cookie cutter will give you sufficent eggs in a small area which you can graft into your frame.
The only real compatibility issue I would see is if you were going to buy a colony from someone on a different format.

I've never got that 'frame of eggs' argument.
How often does that need crop up?
Very rarely I suppose, and even then it requires the donor to be conveniently local to you. I think it may just be another apocryphal fable written in the BBKA book of myth and magic.
but even if you 'desperately need' some eggs, simple - cookie cutter will give you sufficent eggs in a small area which you can graft into your frame.
The only real compatibility issue I would see is if you were going to buy a colony from someone on a different format.
Another beekeeping myth then ? I could only ever see the Langstroth incompatibilty issue being a problem when buying in nucs or hives of bees as there is a majority of national footprint hives in the UK ... but even that is not insurmountable.

Latest posts

Back