Best beginer book ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beekeeping for dummies book is useless apart from is chunky size which props my computer monitor up an extra 2 inches!:cheers2:

Thanks everyone i didnt think id get so many replys , ive downloaded the podcast's so thats my listening for tonite , many thanks guys

John adams , ive found theres Association in Kelso and just been told theres one in coldstream , so ill be on the phone tomoro :)

I'm pleased everyone is a much more advanced in their beekeeping than the standard set in the book I suggested.I think that unless you have the guidance of an EXPERIENCED beekeeper , the first steps into the realms of beekeeping can be very confusing.To read Hooper or other beekeeping "bibles" can be a little advanced for the complete novice and would remind everyone that the "dummies" book is AIMED at COMPLETE BEGINNERS.I have kept bees for 30 years including obtaining the BBKA qualifications and I find even I dont know everything so I wouldnt be so quick to rubbish what is suggested by someone of experience as being of value to a COMPLETE novice.With a little experience - yes follow Hooper, Wedmore,deBrayne et.al.

That's why I recommended Sims - it explains things very well.

Hooper is very good but the layout is to my mind illogical, but it does contain everything you need if you look.

sorry to go against the grain but i am a Clive De Bryun man my self. Thought ted hooper was a little to complicated at times, i get asked to many question from new bees that have read it and dont under stand it.

personaly buy one book it dont realy matter which and then go find a mentor in your area and work with them instead, you will learn so much more and a lot quicker to

Most of the replys trashing the dummies book are by so called experienced beekeepers.Put yourselves in the shoes of someone who knows absolutely NOTHING about bees and beekeeping.We've had association meetings with talks about bees etc explicitely aimed at beginners and you can see from the puzzled faces they are struggling to understand what you are talking about.Its a bit like expecting someone to study quantum mechanics to learn the basics of physics.

i see your point john but instead of buying a book I would suggest that you go down to you local library and get all there books out and dont worry if they dont have many use the inter library lending scheme , I get books from all over the uk sent to me , i have two at the moment from portsmouth and one from the shetlands

Most of the replys trashing the dummies book are by so called experienced beekeepers.Put yourselves in the shoes of someone who knows absolutely NOTHING about bees and beekeeping.We've had association meetings with talks about bees etc explicitely aimed at beginners and you can see from the puzzled faces they are struggling to understand what you are talking about.Its a bit like expecting someone to study quantum mechanics to learn the basics of physics.

I was in that position last year, I read BFD and found the all the basics that a noob would want to be there.

mid year after getting bees I bought the guide to bees and honey, and find the info in Hooper to be more thorough and beter laid out.

I actually pulled both books off the shelf yesterday to find out something, and that something was not even mentioned in the BFD but well explained in Hoopers.

so from this novice, I prefer Hoopers and will probably not bother pulling BFD off the shelf again.

hope this helps :)

David Cramp - A practical Manual of Beekeeping is a very easy book to read and my top tip for a beginner. Maybe not a many pretty pictures as some others but good solid, progressive guidance from a very experienced beekeeper and encouraging.

Hooper - The bible, always my first call for guidance but the structure is a little hard to work around for most beginners it often involved a fair bit of flicking too and fro to get the information needed in my early days.

By the way I just read "Keeping Bees and making Honey" - Benjamin and McCallum - nice introduction and great pictures but does not have enough information to really count as a manual.

I started my suggestion by pointing out that I had obtained the copy of "Dummies" from the local library.I agree entirely with Hedgerow Pete -raid the local library before buying books.I still maintain that absolute novices need the most basic books to start with,the problem is that there are as many ideas about how to keep bees as there are books written about bees and it can be very confusing especially as a lot of the ideas in books can contradict each other.Nothing beats finding a good beekeeper and offering your services by helping him/her over a season especially before taking the plunge and getting your own bees.

I'd recommend "Teach Yourself Beekeeping" by Adrian and Claire Waring. Much easier than Hooper and clearly written for beginners - and written for the UK. You might have to try eBay as Amazon are now listing a similar-looking book called Teach Yourself Get Started in Beekeeping" by the same authors which isn't available until the end of this month.

The problem with that type of book is by the end of your first year you wil be wanting more and Hooper gives you that.

As a first "bible" it's pretty hard to beat. and if it is a little challenging is that not a good thing?

PH

Well i got round to ordering , i ordered "a guide to bee's and honey" by T Hooper and also "The barefoot beekeeper" , ive listened to all his podcast's and he seems a good guy to learn from

I`ve just got a copy of "Collins Beekeepers Bible".
It looks pretty comprehensive although it`d make your arms ache trying to read it in the bath. :)

Darren.

The book I use as reference is The Hive and the Honey Bee by Dadent
all 1269 pages are full of real information . Although its American orientated its worth its weight in gold.

Would be interested to know what you think of it when you have read it, its one i have been tempted to get!

It`s a quality book. Nice thick pages and lovely pictures. It`s one of those books you open it at any page and have a read. It`d probably be a boring to read cover to cover as it`s more of a reference book.

Darren.

Sounds good to me!, thats the problem with these rainy days, i spend too much on the net!!

of all the books that i would suggest you consider as a study guide and learning nots is the

bee keeping study notes as they are very well writen and very technical when you want more but they cost a round £25 and the full set is four books but worth getting the first two which is study notes 1 and 2 and the second is called study nots 3 to 8

they are used as the base for the bbka training programe and are very usefull to me at times

Latest posts

Back