Belarus Beehives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x1franpl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A very short Blog I wrote about discovering beehives at the house my father lived in as a child in pre-war eastern Poland. An interesting comparison in design to the nationals I use.

https://www.pleszak.com/blog/bees-in-belarus

b58e5c_49e9c38797bc43dca90dfb8c99fb67dd~mv2_d_3709_2327_s_2.jpg

b58e5c_bb488fae7a5c41dc812b7914f26ba220~mv2_d_4896_3672_s_4_2.jpg

It seems we have a shared history.

My grandfathers both served with Anders and my father came to the UK via Tashkent and Valivade in India. It was he who spiked my interest in bee keeping as he used to keep bees in his little town orchard until his neighbours forced him to stop because of the mess they caused.

It seems we have a shared history.

My grandfathers both served with Anders and my father came to the UK via Tashkent and Valivade in India. It was he who spiked my interest in bee keeping as he used to keep bees in his little town orchard until his neighbours forced him to stop because of the mess they caused.
Have a look at my website for more information on Anders, send me a personal message if you want any further details. I was in Mumbai recently and had an evening with the Polish Consul talking about Valivade. I'm also doing a talk at a Sikh temple in Huddersfield and will be linking that piece of shared history. Also whilst I was driving from Agra to Jaipur I visited a very large apiary and will post some pictures later.

I will never forget meeting Anders at POSK. He and one of my grandfathers were good friends - my grandfather being somewhat of a mischievous but highly decorated war hero, highly active in SPK and vigorous proponent of the Polish diaspora in the UK.

I have to thank you for bringing back lots of fond memories of some extraordinary yet very humble people whose presence was itself very humbling simply because of the incomprehensible suffering that they went through and the incredible selfless sacrifices they made for the benefit of others.

Some of their antics were quite funny by the way! So for example when my grandfather was serving in Italy at the front line doing some recon he had to relieve himself so left his colleagues and disappeared behind some bushes. No sooner had he dropped his kegs when three German soldiers came by including an officer and stopped directly in front of the bushes he was hidden in with their backs turned to him. My grandfather had left his Thompson behind with his colleagues so was basically unarmed. Undeterred he pick up a stick, rammed it into the back of the German officer shouting "Hände hoch!" warning them not to turn around or he'd shoot them wherein he promptly marched them back to camp with his trousers still around his ankles. Needless to say his chums were at first dumb-stuck before falling around in absolute hysterics. My grandfather for his troubles was demoted for leaving his weapon behind!!!

Karol...do you keep any bees?
You didn't a few years back

Latest posts

Back