Beginning Beekeeping.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reigate

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am doing a theory course during the winter months. How long would it be before I could have my own colony.

As soon as Spring when there are Nucs about if you are a fast learner and have someone near by to help you out when the inevitable poop hits the fan, read and read till you can not read anymore then start reading and researching again and have a good read through this forum.

Wait for the Spring
Seek out a local beekeeper who breeds his ( or her) own bees as they will be most fit for purpose... also buddy up with someone, and get some hands on experience before getting your own colony!! No just the quick... can you see the queen.. that unfortunately it seems is as much " hands on" as many get!!

Does Reigate branch still have their own training apiary?

Yeghes da

I started this year & did a fortnightly hands-on course from the Spring. It was great just to get used to get used to being around thousands of bees and handing the hives. After just a couple of visits I'd decided it was definitely something I wanted to do and had my first colony within a few weeks. I got my bees from them, so I know they're from a reliable source and are good tempered and disease-free.

Since getting my hive it's been a huge help carrying on with the hands-on training and I've seen things and done things that couldn't be substituted by reading books and would likely have taken years for me to experience myself (hiving swarms, making nucs, breeding queens, laying workers etc etc). Luckily, it isn't just a set 'course' and they continue to run training sessions for anyone who wants to go so I'll be doing more again next year. Highly recommended.

Hiya. My hubby and i are new to bee keeping this year. Hubby had done course but about half way through found he needed hive to work on of his own to gain best learning. As others have mentioned read read read theres alot of great books to get a good amount of knowledge from.

Most importantly, don't be impatient to get your bees. Attend apiary sessions, see if you can find a mentor and spend the season, helping and observing. Don't be tempted by early Spring nucs but wait a little while, gain some good experience and obtain (maybe a split from your mentor) a nuc headed by a local queen, it will still only be June.

Latest posts

Back