Hefting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Having got my hives up to a decent weight by the end of September, I’m wondering how the weight should alter as the winter progresses…

Should they still be ‘nailed down’ now and into the new year or should they be beginning to lighten a little?

Presumably they should be getting pretty light by say March to allow the queen space to lay?

They should still be heavy. Mine are but not nailed down.
Mine don’t really get light by March and I usually need to take a frame of stores out at the end of the month which is when I usually look in.

At this time of year, if I start worrying about hives and whether they're running short of stores...
I just pour myself another nobbler of malt (just received another two bottles from Santa today so I need to make room on the shelf)

At this time of year, if I start worrying about hives and whether they're running short of stores...
I just pour myself another nobbler of malt (just received another two bottles from Santa today so I need to make room on the shelf)
We've already had the annual BBKA warning that some colonies are running out of stores !!! ROFL ... I can hear the rustle fondant being cut up !

Latest posts

Back