Beginners Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 is the minimum really. :)

Yes it's this time of year again.
Questions that have been answered last year , the year before, are now comming in and its the same answer from those that know????????

Oh well that's life!

I know what you are saying but the soul intention for some people becoming members of a forum is because they are new and want to learn. It is the responsible thing to do. I am sure this is one of the reasons this forum was created and I am absolutely sure some members signed up because they take pleasure helping and shairing the wisdom they have built up over the years as a beekeeper to newcomers rather than getting irratated.

Well said- bet we have all asked the obvious when we started = some of us more than others -:blush5: - so thank the patient ones and keep asking- only way to learn - Oh- and read the books

One of the main reasons the forum was started was so we could give loads of help to new beekeepers,we did agree at the begining we would never say "Use the search button" prefering to answer the same questions again,or even better get last years new beekeepers to answer the very same questions they asked.

Its the beekeeping forum not B-List or the BBKA forum.

We are here to help ech other with are bees,not just talk scientific b*ll*cks all night.

I seemed to have touched a raw nerve!

Some advice given on here is to say the least "suspect". There is a saying about knowledge;

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I am very cautious when i give out advice because if it is taken and used and the recipient finds difficulty in following the advice then the advice was not put across correctly.

i am sorry if it came across that i against giving out information that has a well trodden path, it was not intended to bee so.

Regards;

I seemed to have touched a raw nerve!

Some advice given on here is to say the least "suspect". There is a saying about knowledge;

please do link us to the "suspect" advice so that I know to disregard it.

many thanks and kind regards

A Noob with only a little bit of knowlege :cheers2:

SergeantSchultz.jpg

"I know nothing"

Sergeant Schultz (Hogan's Heroes)

I started with one hive one November. In June in the following year the single hive swarmed (my fault due to inexperience!). However the hive produced their own queen - as they usually do. It was a worrying time though - when your only queen flies off down the road with 1/2 your bees.
Get two if you can.

Ely. Wings are not quite like flight feathers, but you are correct that trimming one wing (AFTER mating!) will stop the queen from flying for the rest of her life and instead of a swarm she falls out onto the ground so you get your bees back even if she goes missing. That's the theory. I have clipped most of mine last year (for the first time) so this year will be the year that I find out if it's worthwhile or not!

Adam

I got my one and only swarm last June and I am glad it was just the one I had to deal with. Not sure I could have coped being a newbee. A friend in the village also got her first hive so regarding comparisons, that was easy to get. Its easy for an experienced beek to say get two but don't forget these are wild and sometimes unpredictable creatures and if you get something wrong they will let you know in the most painful way they can think off.
Now that I feel more confident I will be splitting my girls into two teams come the spring and as always turning to this forum for their advice.
My advice, do what you feel comfortable with :)

tkwinston It always helps if you have a mentor.

(I didn't).

Latest posts

Back