Beetight app for Android

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found the app to be very useful for several years. No faffing around with sheets of paper like some Victorian clergyman. Means I can instantly access all my hive records, including photographs, wherever and whenever I want, and they are all backed up online.
For as long as the tech doesn't fail or get hacked or get hit by loss of power. The reason we know so much about Victorian clergyman is that they left a physical legacy. Digitally captured information tends to die with the next version upgrade.

Following an Android update on my 'phone, Beetight will not open. I have tried reinstalling and am getting a message that there is a bug that means it will not work with the lastest update. The 'Contact' link on the web version is dead.

Anyone else having these issues?
No I refuse to have apps on my phone.
I hate mobile phones.
Sent from my android phone.....
Not really ;)

For as long as the tech doesn't fail or get hacked or get hit by loss of power. The reason we know so much about Victorian clergyman is that they left a physical legacy. Digitally captured information tends to die with the next version upgrade.
I'm with the victorian clergyman on this issue.

Not if you take proper measures
There is a very interesting book - "The future of the past" where it looks at the growth of knowledge, the amount that is stored, and the impact of Moores law on the ability for that knowledge to be retained. Moores law impacts not just processing power, but storage media and applications. The conclusion is that although there is now more knowledge than ever, more knowledge than ever before is at risk of being lost, or has already been lost. For instance all the US herbicide application records from the Vietnam war are no longer accessible, although they still exist. Made the Agent Orange enquiry much more difficult. As a result, there are a number of edicts that require hard copies of data to be retained...

There is a very interesting book - "The future of the past" where it looks at the growth of knowledge, the amount that is stored, and the impact of Moores law on the ability for that knowledge to be retained.

By coincidence, Gordon Moore died last week.

James

There is a very interesting book - "The future of the past" where it looks at the growth of knowledge, the amount that is stored, and the impact of Moores law on the ability for that knowledge to be retained. Moores law impacts not just processing power, but storage media and applications. The conclusion is that although there is now more knowledge than ever, more knowledge than ever before is at risk of being lost, or has already been lost. For instance all the US herbicide application records from the Vietnam war are no longer accessible, although they still exist. Made the Agent Orange enquiry much more difficult. As a result, there are a number of edicts that require hard copies of data to be retained...
I can imagine.
As an aside think of all the energy needed to store all the rubbish we keep. How many of us empty our Mail bins and photos regularly, never mind all the stuff kids are doing on Tik Tok or whatever the current social media platform is.

Not if you take proper measures
When software or hardware ceases to be supported there's little that can be done. You only have to look at BT ripping out analogue lines to see how tech systems die and their information with them. There's not always the conviction or money to port across digitally captured data

I can imagine.
As an aside think of all the energy needed to store all the rubbish we keep. How many of us empty our Mail bins and photos regularly, never mind all the stuff kids are doing on Tik Tok or whatever the current social media platform is.
Meanwhile paper is a form of carbon capture.

I can imagine.
And as for AI:

"The energy consumption of a single training run of the latest (by 2020) deep neural networks dedicated to natural language processing exceeds 1,000 megawatt-hours (more than a month of computation on today’s most powerful clusters). This corresponds to an electricity bill of more than 100,000 euros (figures in the millions of euros are sometimes found) and 500 tons of CO2 emissions – that is, the carbon footprint equivalent to 500 transatlantic round trips from Paris to New York. In comparison, the human brain consumes in a month about 12 kWh, i.e., a hundred thousand times less, for tasks much more complex than natural language translation...." (IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, September 2022)

Couple that with the energy consumption of data networks and server farms together with the reliance on and lack of resilience of connectivity to the cloud had one has to question the sanity of the direction of travel...

And as for AI:

"The energy consumption of a single training run of the latest (by 2020) deep neural networks dedicated to natural language processing exceeds 1,000 megawatt-hours (more than a month of computation on today’s most powerful clusters). This corresponds to an electricity bill of more than 100,000 euros (figures in the millions of euros are sometimes found) and 500 tons of CO2 emissions – that is, the carbon footprint equivalent to 500 transatlantic round trips from Paris to New York. In comparison, the human brain consumes in a month about 12 kWh, i.e., a hundred thousand times less, for tasks much more complex than natural language translation...." (IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, September 2022)

Couple that with the energy consumption of data networks and server farms together with the reliance on and lack of resilience of connectivity to the cloud had one has to question the sanity of the direction of travel...
Everything so that the ecologists come and tell you that agricultural and livestock activities are not very sustainable activities and that they generate tons of CO2.

Everything so that the ecologists come and tell you that agricultural and livestock activities are not very sustainable activities and that they generate tons of CO2.
Now that, Fian, is the most sensible thing you have said here.......
And it's spot on.

And as for AI:

David, that is quite frightening!

I do not quite understand your comment - can you elaborate please?

Now that, Fian, is the most sensible thing you have said here.......
And it's spot on.

David, that is quite frightening!
What's spot on? The ecologists pontificating or that argiculture is unsustainable?

The opinion that farming is responsible for climate changing CO2
Now, if they said poor argicultural practices that resulted in climate change through desertification then I'd be all ears. Anything else is a matter of ideologues trying to impose their political beliefs through pseudo science.

Latest posts

Back