Beeswax wraps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilco

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15-ish
So finally thinking about making some of these.

For anyone who makes them, where do you source your cotton from?

There was a post on here saying the wraps come under food hygiene regs. Has anyone got more info. on that so I can make sure I'm all above board?

Just beeswax or are you adding other oils as some recipes suggest?

Thanks all.

There was a post on here saying the wraps come under food hygiene regs. Has anyone got more info. on that so I can make sure I'm all above board?

Thanks all.
This may help?

edit, reading it again makes me think I wont be making any soon! :)

Attachments

• wax wraps.pdf
    240 KB · Views: 3

Thanks all.
OK - first check that when you add the wax to the cotton that the colours do not run. Red is particularly bad we find. So get a small sample of each of what you intend to use and check.

As regards using cappings and the chance of varroa treatment chemicals with the movement of wax and the current trend of vaping the colonies why would super cappings be free of the medication.

Jojoba oil and pine tree resin are added to the wax which helps flexibility as wax on its own can be brittle as anyone making frames in the cold can tell you. PM us if you want any more info

As regards using cappings and the chance of varroa treatment chemicals with the movement of wax and the current trend of vaping the colonies why would super cappings be free of the medication.
you take supers off before any kind of treatment.

you take supers off before any kind of treatment.
Although if you sublimate then put the shallows back on, the residual OA could be distributed into them. Not that OA is the issue there. MAQs can be on during a flow but again, is that the concern?

Latest posts

Back