Bees Out Today.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Bees in garden have been out and about since 9.30 this morning. Temp about 8c
Not much sign now that there was any snow at all.

Bees from obs hive decided to stay in with me and watch TV.

just been to check why there is no flying action around my hives....

its because they are dead.

silly things couldnt find the fondant - any suggestions, only 1 colony left, dont want to lose that one, otherwise 5 empty hives and no bees...

:hairpull:

If you haven't already, I would put the fondant directly onto the frames, not above crownboard.

just been to check why there is no flying action around my hives....

its because they are dead.

silly things couldnt find the fondant - any suggestions, only 1 colony left, dont want to lose that one, otherwise 5 empty hives and no bees...

:hairpull:

So, sorry to hear that hedgehog. Same thing happened to my nuc. This is why some beeks put fondant directly over the frames rolled out quite thin to cover the whole hive with cover board on top of the fondant. This way the bees will find the fondant wherever they choose to cluster. To do this you need a warm day and in my area I am checking mine Tuesday - hopefully.

... To do this you need a warm day ...

In an emergency, don't wait for the weather.
The cold might not do them much good. But if the alternative is certain death, take the chance with the cold.

Bees survive cold extraordinarily well.
Chilling brood gives more chance of chalkbrood, etc. But chilling is something you *should* avoid, not something that will destroy the colony instantly.
A bit of cold for a few minutes offers better odds than zero food for a week.

thanks for the help and advice.
there is some fondant on top of some frames from before, but not on all frames.
i have poured a bit of honey ( from local beekeeper) down feed hole and put some on fondant slab
they looked very interested as i was leaving.
i also removed an empty brood frame, put fondant on it and a bit of honey and slid it back in next to cluster in the hope that they willl find it
i dont think they even noticed i was there
i have perspex crown board so can see where cluster is without having to take it off which i find very helpful.
will put fondant on top of frames tomorrow if its dry and keep my fingers crossed.

thanks for the help and advice.
there is some fondant on top of some frames from before, but not on all frames.
i have poured a bit of honey ( from local beekeeper) down feed hole and put some on fondant slab
they looked very interested as i was leaving.
i also removed an empty brood frame, put fondant on it and a bit of honey and slid it back in next to cluster in the hope that they willl find it
i dont think they even noticed i was there
i have perspex crown board so can see where cluster is without having to take it off which i find very helpful.
will put fondant on top of frames tomorrow if its dry and keep my fingers crossed.
Bit late now, but you should only feed them their own honey so as not to introduce nasties. AFB & EFB spores can live on in the honey.

thanks russel
sadly, when i bought them in october, they didnt have much of their own honey
beekeeper was selling up etc etc
i know it was wrong time to buy them etc etc

if they make it through the winter the will go into next winter with plenty of stores of their own (weather permitting)

fingers crossed

Good luck Hedgehog66, I hope they make it :(

Back