Bees on the run

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, the weather has got hot and the bees have left the hive and set up on a near by stone. I now think they might have been bearding. Stupidly I moved the hive a few feet into shade, then tryed moving the bees back to hive. They have now flown of to nearby grass area.
1. Should I place hive by them and hope for best. Or
2. Try and replace them in hive again tonight.
The other idea is to place the supper with Combe over the top of the bees and see if they will climbed back up
Will I need to clean hive and remove old Combe or place bees back in as is.
As you can tell I am newbe and struggling. The guy that was helping and giving advice I am starting to think may not know as much as he thinks.
Any advice would be grateful. Cheers

Last edited:
Hi, the weather has got hot and the bees have left the hive and set up on a near by stone. I now think they might have been bearding. Stupidly I moved the hive a few feet into shade, then tryed moving the bees back to hive. They have now flown of to nearby grass area.
The other idea is to place the supper with Combe over the top of the bees and see if they will climbed back up
As you can tell I am newbe and struggling. The guy that was helping and giving advice I am starting to think may not know as much as he thinks.
You need to move the hive back to its original position. the bees have already orientated to the original hive position and now you've confused them by moving their home, they'll think it's disappeared! Don't do anything with the hive or comb leave everything as is and all the bees should return to the hive during the day and in to the early evening. Make sure that the hive entrance is in the same position as before you moved it.
They can cope with hot weather just leave them alone and they'll get on with doing what bees do. IF they have no water near by I've filled a seed tray with compost or gravel and filled this with water for them to take as needed.

Sounds like they have swarmed !!
Was the Q still in the hive? Any Q cells?
I’d leave the hive where it is, get a Nuc and go catch them before they seek out new residence then inspect the hive to see what’s going on

It is a swarm. Not at least bearding.

Put a new hive for the swarm . They leave quote early to morrow morning, it they have not left yet.

Does the queen has clipped wing when the swarm like to lay on ground? But normally the gang returns to home, if the queen cannot fly.

Last edited:

1. Put the hive back where it was.
2. Don't listen to crap advice
3.see 2.
4. If by chance they have swarmed place an empty hive or nuc on the grass next to the cluster, with entrance facing, gather a couple of handfuls into the box, replace crownboard and lid and watch for bees fanning at the entrance to call their mates in. All being well you may see a "march" if you do let them all get inside and relocate to permanent site. Being they're from your colony you shouldn't have disease worries.
If you are concerned about the hive getting excessively hot try to provide shade or maybe reflective insulation on top and sunny side.

Last edited:
The hive is now empty of bees
The queen doesn't have clipped wings.
They had only been in hive for two days but we're coming and going and have built Combe.
The hive has only been moved about two feet into deeper shade?
The bees are still on floor about 15 foot from hive. They don't seem to be paying any attention to hive. I have put a small amount of sugar water by it. The temperature is calling down now. I haven't any lemon grass to tempt them into box. Should I leave them over night or treat them as a swarm and move them back?

Sorry for some reason I didn't see the last bit of you're advice about putting few handful of bees back in box next to swarm will try that and return to original site with some inserlation on top of hive.

Just treat them as a swarm and collect them back into box as advised. Next time don't move the hive at all!!! Keep inspections to a minimum if they are new which I'm guessing they are (max once a week if that). I am also guessing they are not big in numbers and come from a nuc?

Seems like it is a cast swarm. They often abscond. Add a frame of brood, put the bees back in the box and cross fingers.

Robin123, next time, do give all the detail. It helps! :)

Latest posts

Back