Bees on Laurel.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
Here is one for all you botanists out there.
Last night while I was out walking with my better half, we walked by a laurel hedge humming with bees, wasps and hover flys. It was the loud humming that actually attracted us to it so it was certainly an impressive spectacle.
On examination there was no blossom on the plants but the insects were landing on the base of the underside of the newest leaves and seem to me licking something from the area.
I assumed there must be some kind of aphid feeeding at this point but could find no sign of any at all.
All the laurel plants in the immediate area seemed to have its share of bees but they didn't seem to be on any other plants without blossom.
Anyone out there have any idea why the laurel was so popular?

Here is one for all you botanists out there.
Last night while I was out walking with my better half, we walked by a laurel hedge humming with bees, wasps and hover flys. It was the loud humming that actually attracted us to it so it was certainly an impressive spectacle.
On examination there was no blossom on the plants but the insects were landing on the base of the underside of the newest leaves and seem to me licking something from the area.
I assumed there must be some kind of aphid feeeding at this point but could find no sign of any at all.
All the laurel plants in the immediate area seemed to have its share of bees but they didn't seem to be on any other plants without blossom.
Anyone out there have any idea why the laurel was so popular?

http://www.chelifer.com/?page_id=2438

I believe they get nectar from the leaves.I have Golden Laurel around part of my garden the bees love it.

When you do module 2 [emoji6][emoji6] you will find that it’s cherry, plum, broad been and cherry lately which have extra floral nectaries.

Seems to be to encourage ants to fend of aphids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Photo of Honeybee working extrafloral nectaries of laurel. Lots of plants have extra floral nectaries. Bracken has nectaries too but you can't really call them extrafloral as they aren't a flowering plant. Nectaries predate the evolution of flowering plants.

Attachments

• Honeybee working Extrafloral on Laurel.jpg
    Honeybee working Extrafloral on Laurel.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back