Bees not taking syrup (with Hive Alive)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I added Hive Alive to syrup to give them a boost.

A few days later, they aren’t taking it. They are in the feeder but don’t seem to want it.

Also, 4 or 5 bees had drowned in the syrup over those few days.

Anyone else had this problem? And any ideas what to do?

Perhaps mixed to thick ? I have found some of my colonies wont take it down...

What did help on occasion was adding a bit of course salt on top,,, tea spoons worth of large clumps....\ Alternatively, the pink Himalayan salt is also enjoyed,

If youre a bit nervous, take a bottle lid with weak mixture of untreated course salt/water and pit it down close to hive.... Youll soon see if they are drawn to it...

Please note, I dont medicate any of my syrup mixtures but can only assume this may also be the cause...

Last edited:

A few days later, they aren’t taking it. They are in the feeder but don’t seem to want it.

Has it been cold where you live? I've never used the product and had never heard of it, but perhaps try switching to a different sort of feeder...for example, a rapid feeder that sits on the top of a hole in the crown board...that way the syrup is warmed somewhat by the colony. Are there many bees in the hive?

It's probably too cold for them to get up there.
Is it a small colony?
If they need food a slab of fondant on the top bars is much better

maybe they don't need syrup. if they have plenty of stores, and there is forage out there they won't be poking around much in the feeder.
Why do you think they need a 'boost'

If the daytime temperature is less than 12-13C I find bees don't go up into rapid liquid feeders. Contact feeders (mesh) work.
You can make your own using a cylindrical ice cream tub and drill 3-4 adjacent holes in the centre of the lid (approx 2-3mm in diameter).Invert it over the CB.. Should work.
Alternatives: chinese takeaway containers, 250g butter/marg containers etc.

If the daytime temperature is less than 12-13C I find bees don't go up into rapid liquid feeders. Contact feeders (mesh) work.
You can make your own using a cylindrical ice cream tub and drill 3-4 adjacent holes in the centre of the lid (approx 2-3mm in diameter).Invert it over the CB.. Should work.
Two to three mm hole might be too large - my experience has been that basically 3 or four 'pin holes' do not let the syrup drip out, the bees have to "suck" at the droplets so less chance of unwanted syrup splashing down, best experiment first to discover what works for you.

Two to three mm hole might be too large - my experience has been that basically 3 or four 'pin holes' do not let the syrup drip out, the bees have to "suck" at the droplets so less chance of unwanted syrup splashing down, best experiment first to discover what works for you.

I do find that pin holes block up with sugar crystals if you have not thoroughly mixed the sugar solution!

Has it been cold where you live? I've never used the product and had never heard of it, but perhaps try switching to a different sort of feeder...for example, a rapid feeder that sits on the top of a hole in the crown board...that way the syrup is warmed somewhat by the colony. Are there many bees in the hive?

Yeah I’m using a rapid feeder.

Number are fairly good.

It's probably too cold for them to get up there.
Is it a small colony?
If they need food a slab of fondant on the top bars is much better

Yeah I had fondant on over the winter, but it was finished a few days ago.

Yeah I’m using a rapid feeder.

Number are fairly good.
You believe in making 'em work for it? Contact feeders better this time in the season if anything atall imo.

Last edited:
maybe they don't need syrup. if they have plenty of stores, and there is forage out there they won't be poking around much in the feeder.
Why do you think they need a 'boost'

Just thought a bit of syrup (with hive alive) would give them a Spring boost.

PS. I thought maybe it’s the smell of the hive alive (which has thymol) is putting them off. I remember adding thymol to syrup a couple of years ago, and they didn’t touch it.

What is the stores situation do they need it? Don’t give them more food if they don’t need it

They’re probably ok for stores.

They were still taking the last of the fondant a few days ago, so thought I’d give them syrup (more for the HiveAlive boost than anything) now we’re into warmer* days.

They’re probably ok for stores.

They were still taking the last of the fondant a few days ago, so thought I’d give them syrup (more for the HiveAlive boost than anything) now we’re into warmer* days.
Then they don’t need any more. There will be plenty if nectar about soon

These bees don't need to take any more stores down, that's why they're not interested.
I'm afraid this fad of blindly giving bees a 'spring boost' with no reason is a bit daft (plugged by the usual suspets probably). temperature and forage increasing is enough of a stimulant for them. and as for 'hive alive' well..................................

I do find that pin holes block up with sugar crystals
I nearly lost my first (package) colony because of this. Literally got to them with hours left - they were falling off the combs. Sprinkle with icing sugar and they came round in front of my eyes. It was weeks before I worked out what had happened.

Strange how they won't take syrup from a rapid feeder until it's quite warm, but they will forage. I can only guess it's the house bees that move stores around (including from the feeder) rather than forager bees.

Latest posts

Back